linux noob installing emby server stuck at ffmpeg in quick start wizard

timnop

timnop

I have the ffmpeg files in a folder /home/tim/ffmpeg files

I don't know how to mark them as executables, but when I look at properties it looks like they already are.

The wizard keeps kicking me back. Unable to locate ffmpeg in the path you entered.

Please help. I am a total noob and have been working on this all day.

Thanks.

timnop

I didn't know how to mark the two files as executable. I found the answer with google search. Beginning to study the linux operating guide now. Today was a rough day. But I am learning. My mission is to set up whole home dvr with hdhr prime and amazon fire tv / kodi boxes throughout the house and of course all of our smart devices. My emby server is running on a s905x android box which is running ubuntu on an sd card. Does this sound feasable? Is there a good guide to follow? I don't care too much at this point setting up libraries just whole home tv viewing and dvr.

Thanks

mastrmind11

I didn't know how to mark the two files as executable. I found the answer with google search. Beginning to study the linux operating guide now. Today was a rough day. But I am learning. My mission is to set up whole home dvr with hdhr prime and amazon fire tv / kodi boxes throughout the house and of course all of our smart devices. My emby server is running on a s905x android box which is running ubuntu on an sd card. Does this sound feasable? Is there a good guide to follow? I don't care too much at this point setting up libraries just whole home tv viewing and dvr.

Thanks

What you're trying to do is entirely feasible... you're describing what everyone here is already doing in some form or another.  However, you are going to run into pretty bad performance issues running your server on a box that lightweight.  That thing is more of a streaming client than a server.

tdiguy

Thanks

I dont know much about the s905x box. However i have a raspberry pi3 running emby server and a hdhomerun prime with amazon fire tv, amazon fire tablet and 2 android phones all running emby. So i would say it is possible. Might have some quirks but ya possible. Also for the guide information you will want to install xmltv ( sudo apt-get install xmltv ) and follow instructions at zapto tv ( forgot the web site and work blocks many results )  and set up a cron job to download daily tv guide updates. Whats really nice is that the hdhomerun can do the transcoding for livetv so its mostly directplay.

Edited by tdiguy

timnop

I dont know much about the s905x box. However i have a raspberry pi3 running emby server and a hdhomerun prime with amazon fire tv, amazon fire tablet and 2 android phones all running emby. So i would say it is possible. Might have some quirks but ya possible. Also for the guide information you will want to install xmltv ( sudo apt-get install xmltv ) and follow instructions at zapto tv ( forgot the web site and work blocks many results )  and set up a cron job to download daily tv guide updates. Whats really nice is that the hdhomerun can do the transcoding for livetv so its mostly directplay.

tdiguy,

I would like to know more. I am having a few issues and your set up is similar to mine. Are you using emby for watching and recording live tv? That is my main goal. I am still on my 7 day trial with schedules direct and currently have issues with the guide loading kind of slow. It has gotten better since I realized that my linux OS was set to the wrong time zone. Since I fixed that it is not as slow, but still slow. (I get the spinning cursor for about 15 seconds). I have 2 fire tv's and 2 fire sticks. I have a problem sometimes when I try to change channels I get a message "can't tune to this channel a tuner might not be available" something like that. I get this even if the other devices are idle, like in standby mode. I'm wondering if they are still "holding on" to the tuners. I am aware that scheduled recordings will take control of a tuner, but this happens when nothing is scheduled. Do you have an opinion on zapto vs schedules direct? I am learning as I go and appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Thanks!

tdiguy

To me zapto and SD look the same, except zapto is free and I had to do a little more work to get it going. I had to install xmltv, make a script and set up a cron job so that it will update daily. As far as the delay and such you are facing I am not sure but it should not be related to the guide data since it is not pulled in real time it's downloaded and stored. Looking at that box on Amazon just based on price I wonder if it might have less processing power than a pi, but I don't know much about these things. In all honesty I have been a bit out of the loop tech wise for a few years, I work much more with firewalls now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

timnop

You may want to try Warpster's Network Monitor to see if your tuners are being released.  I use it all the time for a diagnostic tool.

You will find the download link from his post.  Latest version is 5.8

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=12216&start=60#p95184

Thanks! I have that set up now. This should help.

To me zapto and SD look the same, except zapto is free and I had to do a little more work to get it going. I had to install xmltv, make a script and set up a cron job so that it will update daily. As far as the delay and such you are facing I am not sure but it should not be related to the guide data since it is not pulled in real time it's downloaded and stored. Looking at that box on Amazon just based on price I wonder if it might have less processing power than a pi, but I don't know much about these things. In all honesty I have been a bit out of the loop tech wise for a few years, I work much more with firewalls now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I think I will give zapto a try...I like free...lol. This is the box I have.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWMQRS6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  The specs are pretty good and it seems capable for the task so far. Thanks to clarkss12 for helping me install linux on it.