Coverart - Show the real CDArt instead of blank CD's in Collection CD view types

shorty1483

shorty1483

@@ebr I kindly request a (for me) logical change to unify the Collection Cover Types. Since all the SideCase Disc views use the discart of a movie, if available, I would really like to see it also in the front CD views.

Affected would be:

CaseCDs

ClearCaseCDs

SideCaseCDs

FlatCaseCDs

MetroCaseCDs

DiamondCDs

SapphireCDs

Since all the basic coding stuff is already available in the cover types that already use the cdart images, this should not be a biggie from a dev point of view. Plus this would really improve the look of the above coverart treatments that currently do not look very nice with these blank CDs.

Example:

Current State:                             New Look with Feature Request accepted:

59268eb4b9651_Unbenannt.jpg    59268fc0b6813_Unbenannt.jpg

Notice how hard it is to see how many discs there are in your second image?  That's one reason why it doesn't do that.  The other is performance.

However, there are treatment styles that will utilize that art.

5461146fbc4fc_caccdiscs.png

shorty1483

Notice how hard it is to see how many discs there are in your second image?  That's one reason why it doesn't do that.  The other is performance.

However, there are treatment styles that will utilize that art.

5461146fbc4fc_caccdiscs.png

Unfortunately the above treatment style has also no MetroCase with Sidediscs. Lots of people like me like to have uniformity. 

28 days later collection is perhaps a bad example because of the unfiform red colors. But I guess most users are more concerned about the optics of the covers with small discs having a nice look than about counting the movie discs. Then all the sidedisc treatments limited to 3 discs like in your example would also make no sense. No offense, but additionally, if performance is a KO-criteria, then why we have all this pretty sidedisc treatments or the CaseFan one? From performance point of view, there is no difference if the discs are on the side of the Cover or in the front (SideDisc Treatments), or if we talk about covers or discart in front (CaseFan Treatment).

Edited by shorty1483

if performance is a KO-criteria, then why we have all this pretty sidedisc treatments or the CaseFan one? From performance point of view, there is no difference if the discs are on the side of the Cover or in the front (SideDisc Treatments), or if we talk about covers or discart in front (CaseFan Treatment).

I'm most concerned with performance with the default settings and/or the most used treatments.  When people customize from those, they can also accept that maybe there will be performance trade-offs.

However, don't be surprised if you see a future version of the plug-in that doesn't have quite as many options and, therefore, performs better.  Although, I think recent improvements we've made have made that less of an issue.

But, my main hesitation with this suggestion is the fact that you would end up with a lot of situations like the example you posted.  The design of that treatment style is actually supposed to give you a "quick-glance" method of seeing how many items are in your collection and that is much easier to do with the generic discs.  That is the intent anyway...

shorty1483

I'm most concerned with performance with the default settings and/or the most used treatments.  When people customize from those, they can also accept that maybe there will be performance trade-offs.

However, don't be surprised if you see a future version of the plug-in that doesn't have quite as many options and, therefore, performs better.  Although, I think recent improvements we've made have made that less of an issue.

But, my main hesitation with this suggestion is the fact that you would end up with a lot of situations like the example you posted.  The design of that treatment style is actually supposed to give you a "quick-glance" method of seeing how many items are in your collection and that is much easier to do with the generic discs.  That is the intent anyway...

Ok understood your point of view. Could then a MetroCase View with the 3 Sidediscs be implemented so it looks uniform when all other sections are in MetroCase style? Please? :D

Ok understood your point of view. Could then a MetroCase View with the 3 Sidediscs be implemented so it looks uniform when all other sections are in MetroCase style? Please? :D

Perhaps but there is still going to be a bit of uniformity problem there because the aspect ratio (shape) of the covers would have to be different, which can cause display problems in some apps.

shorty1483

Perhaps but there is still going to be a bit of uniformity problem there because the aspect ratio (shape) of the covers would have to be different, which can cause display problems in some apps.

I guess users could live with that since the AR difficulty with the more square images is not new  :D

Edited by shorty1483