Observation on performance between Linux and Windows Servers

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I am generally a Linux person other than a gaming PC and my work laptop that run Windows 10. I was doing a rebuild of my server and decided to try out Windows Server 2016 as the main services running on my media server are .NET Framework based an run on Mono. On a fresh install of Windows Server 2016 with all updates applied Emby ran considerably slower than my previous Ubunutu Server 16.04 install. Live TV streams took longer to start, images longer to load, and overall slower to navigate Emby. I chalked it up to the images needing to be cached and some time for the system to settle. Well after a few days there was no improvement. By no means was it slow to the point of being an issue but not nearly as snappy as I was accustomed to.

After a week of Windows Server 2016 I reverted back to Ubuntu Server 16.04 and instantly everything is snappy again. Live streams start in less than 2 seconds, images and pages load instantly. I would have thought that running Emby on Mono versus naively on Windows would cause some performance hit but in my cause Linux is just that much better. On a side note my other services seem to run as good if not better on Linux as well. This little experiment has really cemented, for me, that Linux is the way to go for a home server.

Anyone else have any similar experiences or the opposite of mine? 

Thanks for the feedback. The notion of "native on Windows", emulated on Linux, is not really true anymore, although that perception will probably continue to stick for a long time.

Tur0k

So, a buddy of mine opted to move his home automation system over to server 2016. We noticed delayed activity on a bunch of stuff for a good while. Some of it was the dual core AMD CPU. We had to adjust power settings, CPU throttling, we even noticed that the home automation program's process had a lowered priority on the CPU that had to be adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k