Choppy Playback using Xbox 360 as Extender

fonzie

fonzie

I just got my Windows 7 Media Center set up and I have an issue with playback stutter on my Xbox 360 that I am using as an extender. The console is connected to an ethernet port.

At first, the video file would not play through Emby at all, but then I read in the forum that I needed to install a codec so I installed the recommended LAVfilters-0.69 and that allowed me to play the movie through Emby on the host computer just fine.  However, playing it using the Xbox 360 as an extender causes a lot of pausing and the quality is looking like it is being transcoded.

I checked the dashboard and it says that the file is being direct played.  So I'm assuming that the Emby server is sending the file directly to the WMC host machine which is then transcoding it to the Xbox.  I want to completely remove transcoding since it seems to choke up the console.

I looked for a setting to turn off transcoding in the Emby for Media Center Configurator but I did not find it.  I added a few more extender formats to it, though: mkv, mp4, avi

Should I add an external player in the Configurator settings as well?  I also read a recommendation for Shark007's codecs.  Should I install them as well or will they conflict with the Lavfilters?

Thanks for the guidance.

What is the media info of the video? xbox 360 can only handle a limited bitrate, so you might have to use transcoding depending on how high it is.

fonzie

What is the media info of the video? xbox 360 can only handle a limited bitrate, so you might have to use transcoding depending on how high it is.

It's 1080p x264 file around 9gb. How do I get Emby to transcode it rather than the Windows machine?

fonzie

Why do you think the wmc host machine is transcoding it?

Because when I play the video on the Xbox 360 the quality is very low (like 480p) yet on the dashboard it says that im direct playing.

We used to have a component (Transcode360) that would attempt to transcode items to something the 360 could handle but it has been so long since someone set this up that I don't recall if it still works.  In short, the 360 is fairly limited in what it can handle.

@@BAS can you provide any pointers for fonzie?

dansblackcat

I ended up installing Shark codecs.  Under the MKV tab there is a setting "alternate extender support".  Selecting this dramatically improved my video quality.

Maybe it will help you too?

• Like 1

fonzie

I ended up installing Shark codecs. Under the MKV tab there is a setting "alternate extender support". Selecting this dramatically improved my video quality.

Maybe it will help you too?

I'll give this a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll just continue using my Nvidia Shield for emby playback.

dansblackcat

Make sure you uninstall all other codecs before installing Shark.  I'm pretty sure Shark will warn you to do this.

fonzie

Will do. So can you stream 1080p high bit rate content to the Xbox 360 with the shark codecs, with no freezing?

dansblackcat

I did still get very slight pauses but I'm not sure if high bit rates were the cause.  I really didn't do a lot of testing with playback via Xbox 360.

There were some movies that I just could not get my xbox to play in 5.1 so I ended up giving up.

Unfortunately my PC is now on W10 so I'm not able to help you test anything.  Even though I have installed WMC on W10, extenders don't work.

• Like 1

fonzie

I did still get very slight pauses but I'm not sure if high bit rates were the cause. I really didn't do a lot of testing with playback via Xbox 360.

There were some movies that I just could not get my xbox to play in 5.1 so I ended up giving up.

Unfortunately my PC is now on W10 so I'm not able to help you test anything. Even though I have installed WMC on W10, extenders don't work.

Thank you. I mainly got the Windows Media Center extender in order to use my cablecard with Hdhomerun since it seems to be the only viable option at the moment to view DRM protected television. I was just thinking it would be nice to get Emby working on there too, but I'm guessing it really won't be feasible with 10-15gb movie files.

dansblackcat

I have a PS3 for my Blu-rays and I got an Xbox 360 so I could use it to watch all the HDDVD's I still have.  Like you I thought it would be nice to have Emby on there too.

I ended up getting a Chromecast.  

• Like 1

In the end, I think you will be much happier with Emby on the Shield.  The capabilities are just light-years ahead of the 360.