Any way to go back to pre-beta Roku channel?

flcruising

flcruising

As of last night it appears the beta channel has replaced the previous official channel.

The wife and I don't like it at all.

Too busy.

PAUSE || and (resume) PLAY > have a long delay.

Back button has a long delay. If you press it too many times because you weren't sure if it registered, it sends you to Roku home screen.

Text is too small.

Background graphics make summary hard to read. Everything seems to be an eye strain.

I've turned OFF the image options in settings, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

We use Roku sticks (MHL and HDMI) so the hardware is slow, but the previous official channel was responsive and simple. Simple is what we like.

I may have to move away from Emby if this is how we now interact with the TV. Incremental changes are usually welcomed, but this is like using another software altogether.

Hi.  We may provide a private channel to the old app in the near future but the problem with that is that Roku has deprecated all of the methods that app is using and they will stop working next year.

ifignella

If you ever get the chance to go to a roku 3 or above, the lagging issues will go away.

I agree with it being too busy and the text being small. I know @@ebr plans to add an option to go from the home screen directly into all shows/movies, which will simplify things for you

• Like 1

Lane03

I also experience lagging on my 1080p RokuTV, where the 4k RokuTV is nice and fast. Hopefully Emby will be able to optimize the code and speed up the UI for slower devices, as my 1080p RokuTV has no lagging using the new Plex (similar interface, not the old UI). The option to go directly to all shows/movies will also be a nice improvement.

In the meantime, there is: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/

This app is based on the old apps codebase. This means that while "officially" the old app is no more, "unofficially" it still exists. *wink wink*

To get an identical look to the old official app, rather than the bright colors used in blue neon:

1) find the options row and click on "preferences"

2) scroll all the way near the bottom and click on "Theme"

3) choose "standard" instead of "emby blue neon night"

4) enjoy

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

The option to go directly to all shows/movies will also be a nice improvement.

This will be the default, as you can see it's beginning to happen in our other apps. Thanks.

• Like 1

flcruising

In the meantime, there is: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/

This app is based on the old apps codebase. This means that while "officially" the old app is no more, "unofficially" it still exists. *wink wink*

To get an identical look to the old official app, rather than the bright colors used in blue neon:

1) find the options row and click on "preferences"

2) scroll all the way near the bottom and click on "Theme"

3) choose "standard" instead of "emby blue neon night"

4) enjoy

Thank you. I'll definitely give this a try.

Since this is based upon the old app, does that mean it is no longer supported or will become useless next year as @@ebr pointed out?

Thank you. I'll definitely give this a try.

Since this is based upon the old app, does that mean it is no longer supported or will become useless next year as @@ebr pointed out?

Unfortunately, roku has drawn a line in the sand. There is no choice but to eventually succumb to the fact that the app now has a finite lifespan of less than 2 years. We have approx 18 months until 2019 and the old sdk is removed from rokus firmware. Until then, make the best with the time we have left. :)

It does feel like an old friend is dying, and was taken too soon from this earth. That roku is akin to a murderer of sorts. Jan 1 2019 will be a day 10 million souls cry out in pain.

Edited by speechles

flcruising

Unfortunately, roku has drawn a line in the sand. There is no choice but to eventually succumb to the fact that the app now has a finite lifespan of less than 2 years. We have approx 18 months until 2019 and the old sdk is removed from rokus firmware. Until then, make the best with the time we have left. :)

It does feel like an old friend is dying, and was taken too soon from this earth. That roku is akin to a murderer of sorts. Jan 1 2019 will be a day 10 million souls cry out in pain.

What is Roku doing that forced Emby developers to abandon the old (simple) interface?

Edited by flcruising

flcruising

https://blog.roku.com/developer/2017/02/01/legacy-sdk/

R.i.p. sdk1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Is this for the better or worse?

Am I understanding that it will allow developer creativity at the peril of channel congruity?

Thank you for blue neon night, BTW. We've moved to that and will continue to use it. Since we are not a fan of the new Emby Roku UI, I have time to keep an eye out for an alternative before it too is deprecated.

flcruising

@@flcruising, why not instead make your suggestions for change with the new app? thanks.

Is there an official place to do this or do I just start another thread?

Since I'm not a developer, I don't understand the limitations or consequences of 'SceneGraph'. Though, I honestly didn't spend enough time using the new app to compile a list of issues I had beside what I mention in my OP. The changes were significant and the delays aggravating.

ifignella

Is there an official place to do this or do I just start another thread?

Since I'm not a developer, I don't understand the limitations or consequences of 'SceneGraph'. Though, I honestly didn't spend enough time using the new app to compile a list of issues I had beside what I mention in my OP. The changes were significant and the delays aggravating.

ifignella

From what i understand, scene graph was started to make roku development easier and give more options for an app. That's why it looks better and isn't as "simple" as the old app. Personally, i am ok with a little delay if it means the app looks good, which it does. I'm assuming with Scene graph, the stick is having a hard time. Don't know if that's fixable without upgrading to a more recent model

flcruising

@@flcruising, why not instead make your suggestions for change with the new app? thanks.

• @@ebr Takes 9 seconds to reach login screen with old app; new app is 15 seconds.
  • Have option of NO Background graphics. Black is easiest to see from 14' away.
  • Lost the 4-way navigation. Left/Right used to move to the next item in the list when you were in 'Latest' episode for example. Now you have to go back, then left/right, select the episode, then toggle options like watched. Since my wife and I watch some different shows, we used to be able to navigate left/right pretty quickly and select 'Watched' to remove the other persons episodes from our own 'Latest'. Now it takes about 4 extra steps.
  • Option to change poster type.
  • Larger text.

Last night, Rewind cause the Roku to reboot.

ifignella

• @@ebr Takes 9 seconds to reach login screen with old app; new app is 15 seconds.
  • Have option of NO Background graphics. Black is easiest to see from 14' away.
  • Lost the 4-way navigation. Left/Right used to move to the next item in the list when you were in 'Latest' episode for example. Now you have to go back, then left/right, select the episode, then toggle options like watched. Since my wife and I watch some different shows, we used to be able to navigate left/right pretty quickly and select 'Watched' to remove the other persons episodes from our own 'Latest'. Now it takes about 4 extra steps.
  • Option to change poster type.
  • Larger text.

Last night, Rewind cause the Roku to reboot.

If you set up your server so you each have are a separate user (maybe you do already) and separate your libraries like this:

On your hard drive you would have:

Husband/TV Shows

Wife/TV Shows

Both/TV Shows

Then in your library setting on the dashboard, for you add Husband/TV Shows and Both/TV Shows to your TV Library.

Do the same for your wife - Wife/TV Shows and Both/TV Shows

This way you won't have to check/uncheck watched for the shows you both watch, they'll be kept separate for each of you.

flcruising

If you set up your server so you each have are a separate user (maybe you do already) and separate your libraries like this:

On your hard drive you would have:

Husband/TV Shows

Wife/TV Shows

Both/TV Shows

Then in your library setting on the dashboard, for you add Husband/TV Shows and Both/TV Shows to your TV Library.

Do the same for your wife - Wife/TV Shows and Both/TV Shows

This way you won't have to check/uncheck watched for the shows you both watch, they'll be kept separate for each of you.

We have users by name of family member, (6) of us.

How would I tell Emby server to automatically sort downloaded TV shows on per user basis? Are you saying that I would have to create separate TV 'root' folders based on what we each watch, or is there a way to filter the user preferences similar to Parental Rating?

ifignella

I've never used any filters or parental ratings so I don't really know, maybe someone else could chime in and let you know.

I have just created separate folders for each user, then if there are things that all of us watch or some of us watch, I create a new folder and put those shows in there.  Then add that new folder to the library of each person watching those shows.

It seems like a bit of a pain, but once it's done you won't have to mess with it again and you'll each get your own latest, continue, next without seeing the other users stuff.

For example on the hard drive:

HusbandTV/  ---shows only you watch

WifeTV/ ---shows only she watches

HusbandandWifeTV/ ---shows both of you watch

KidsTV/ ---shows all the kids watch

Kids1and2TV/ ---shows only these 2 kids watch

Kids3and4TV/ ---shows only these 2 kids watch

Go to the dashboard, library (on the left), click on Husband's TV Library, add HusbandTV/, add HusbandandWifeTV/

Do the same for wife.

click on Kid 1 TV Library, add KidsTV, add Kids1and 2TV/

and so on

You need an "also here/also waching" with intelligent prompting so users no longer watching can be removed. The blue neon app has this, then if 2 kids + mom + dad are watching, log into dads account as the main user, then log in mom + each of the two kids under the "also watching" tile (dad+3) (3 others watching). Several users can be on the app at once this way. Family night!! This makes all the played items sync across user accounts. Each user should have their own account, you should not have to make individual folders of each users content. @@ebr will eventually get an "also here/also watching" into the app. It is inevitable. Ebr added this to the wmc version of emby long ago.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

ifignella

That's more steps than what he's doing now and doesn't solve the issue he's having. Cool idea though for family night.

The issue he's having is he's seeing the shows his wife watches and is having to toggle watched on her episodes so they won't be in his latest row.

Happy2Play

That's more steps than what he's doing now and doesn't solve the issue he's having. Cool idea though for family night.

The issue he's having is he's seeing the shows his wife watches and is having to toggle watched on her episodes so they won't be in his latest row.

There is no way around this unless you keep everything in separate libraries, but that requires manual maintenance to achieve.

ifignella

There is no way around this unless you keep everything in separate libraries, but that requires manual maintenance to achieve.

Right, that's what i was saying.

Thats because him and his wife must be sharing a single account. Why else would what she watches under "mom" would affect what is showing up for "dad"? There is no reason to separate libraries to stop this. Change "remember user" to NO. Every time app starts users must log in. Now instead of one account, make separate accounts for dad and mom. Then use "also here/also watching" to tie multiple users watched status together whenever you want. Easy Peasy.

Edited by speechles

ifignella

They have separate users but just one tv library so there are shows he doesn't watch that still show up under his user. He has to keep marking these shows as watched so they disappear from his latest episodes. I'm not saying what you are suggesting wouldn't work but 1) it's not an option right now and 2) after he sets up the libraries once, he's done. No need to go through the process of "also watching" every time she watches a show