OT - Android TV is getting a new launcher with Android O

CBers

gthrift

Just loaded it on my Nexus player and it's soooo bad.

It has an app drawer, so the top row of 6 apps is all you can see without opening the drawer.

You can disable any apps from having its own row and reorder the rows but the app row stays at the top.

Not sure if it's still voice search or assistant is installed because my voice remote does not pick me up.

Overall a very bad update. Time to roll back.

My issue is just having section titles on the left side of the content. I think that is a little cumbersome to read.

gthrift

My issue is just having section titles on the left side of the content. I think that is a little cumbersome to read.

Looking at it, I think that is my issue as well.  It's cluttered with the app icons being too large and taking too much space.  Also not a huge fan on mixing the round and large rectangular elements.  I think something else could indicate which "channel" you're looking at better.  The animations switching between channels also fairly bad and need to be much smoother.  As it is they are a little jarring because its so choppy.

Also, I really hate having an app drawer on a tv.  App drawers make sense on a phone because everything is single press with a touch screen but on a tv you have to use a remote to navigate to the drawer, open it and then continue to navigate to the app you're looking for.  They may be assuming you'll use voice but I know a lot of people are using harmony remotes.

I am happy they are making changes though, because the current recommendations at the top are not good.

Edited by gthrift

CBers

Watch the video, as it shows what the different rows, now called channels, are really for.

Just imagine an Emby channel, showing a suggested list of content, along with video clips that play directly in the channel and opens full screen when selected.

I think Eric has some work to do before Android O comes out :)

gthrift

Watch the

, as it shows what the different rows, now called channels, are really for.

Just imagine an Emby channel, showing a suggested list of content, along with video clips that play directly in the channel and opens full screen when selected.

I think Eric has some work to do before Android O comes out :)

I watched live last night and get where they are going with it.  The previews and suggestions are great, the interface just needs some tweaking.  

clarkss12

I installed it last night, will be making a video of it soon.  Not very impressed with it, so far.

I installed it last night, will be making a video of it soon.  Not very impressed with it, so far.

What happens with the current set of suggestions we are creating?

jhoff80
The current set of suggestions doesn't show up at all on the beta.

As for the app drawer thing someone mentioned, I like it more now that I discovered press and hold on the home button will slide that in from anywhere.

The visual design looks pretty bad though.  The notification counter at the top should probably hide unless you have notifications.  The settings cog at the top looks pretty ugly.  And even the clock's font is a step backwards to my eye.  Also, I'd personally prefer if the "search movies" text wasn't there and if the channel categories were moved further to the left and (as mentioned) had the text removed (these are all my own apps, I should be able to recognize which is which from the icon, but they could also show text when highlighted).

Edited by jhoff80

CBers

@@jhoff80 Which Android TV device did you install it on?

It's only the first beta available, so things will change before O is released.

Have you thought about posting your comments in the Google Android TV developer's portal?

jhoff80

A new Nexus Player that I wanted to use for testing purposes as one of my users is getting a Sony TV with Android TV built in.

I'll be returning it though, because Walmart.com (sold & shipped by Walmart, not a third-party seller) sold me a German one that came with a European plug and a US adapter.  I'm sure the UI will change in future betas, but I won't be keeping the device long enough to see.

A new Nexus Player that I wanted to use for testing purposes as one of my users is getting a Sony TV with Android TV built in.

I'll be returning it though, because Walmart.com (sold & shipped by Walmart, not a third-party seller) sold me a German one that came with a European plug and a US adapter.  I'm sure the UI will change in future betas, but I won't be keeping the device long enough to see.

You just now bought a Nexus Player...?

• Like 1

jhoff80

Cheapest Android TV device in stock that I could find for testing.  Obviously the Shield TV is a million times better, but since it wouldn't really be actively used, I wasn't going to pay $200 for it (and the Mibox looks to be out of stock).

But like I mentioned, it was supposed to be a US device and they sent me one with a European plug and adapter (which extends the adapter so far away from the wall that it torques itself out of the wall outlet) so I'll be returning it anyway.

Pretty nice platform now that I've played with it though.  I would definitely rate Android TV above Roku and FireTV (and to get more on topic again, the new launcher looks like it'll be pretty nice when apps support it and if they tweak some design stuff).

Not surprised you got an odd model since the device has been discontinued for quite some time.  I am surprised you were able to order one at all.

CBers

Not surprised you got an odd model since the device has been discontinued for quite some time. I am surprised you were able to order one at all.

It's a shame they stopped making them.

The demo for the updated Android TV UI at the Google I/O was done on a Nexus Player.

clarkss12

Finally got around to making a quick video of the new Android OS "O".  As you can see the Emby app does very well on providing the tiles for suggestions.  This is installed on my Nexus Player.

jhoff80

Huh, that's so weird that it didn't do the same thing on mine.  Even after running Emby and going back to the homescreen it didn't have a 'channel' section for it.  I guess that's part of why it's a beta.  :D

It did properly show recommendations on 7.1.2 but not on the O beta.  Weird.  I'd test it again but it's already boxed up to send back at this point.

Blueeyiz702

Lukei think you and the guys on staff could make a better launcher. Call it the Emby Launcher for Android TV?

• 6 months later...

My NP just updated to Oreo and I have to say I much prefer the aesthetics of the old home screen.  This one just doesn't look nearly as good.

I love the fact that we have our own dedicated recommendations row (and I'll be increasing the number that are shown now) but wish they had kept the old look.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but this new design is really sub-par compared to the old one - just visually.  I like the fact we have a dedicated row of suggestions but the whole thing just looks dead now with zero pizzazz.  I sure hope they dress it up before it hits the Shield.

New:

5a300114cc763_newdevicehome.png

Old:

5a300126c820a_olddevicehome.png

• Like 1

CBers

I'm sorry, but this new design is really sub-par compared to the old one - just visually. I like the fact we have a dedicated row of suggestions but the whole thing just looks dead now with zero pizzazz. I sure hope they dress it up before it hits the Shield.

People hate change - almost doesn't matter what it is. :)

But then, after becoming used to whatever changed, they'll hate it if it changes again.

:D

• Like 2

Yes, that is a factor, I'm sure but can anyone argue that the new design looks better (visually)?

In contrast, the update they did to the interface on the Fire TV home screen a while back was definitely an improvement.

CBers

I don't disagree it's different, but you just have to put up with what the devs have provided you with, whether you like it or not.