PlayOn with Live TV

beatter

beatter

Hello,

I'm using the PlayOn plugin to access my DirectvNow account. I am running into an issue when navigating to Live content where Emby is not keeping up-to-date with the PlayOn content.

For example: I navigate to PlayOn->DIRECTVNOW->Networks->TBS->Live Channels and it shows one entry - "Live TBS - American Dad - s01e22..."

This was the show that was on whenever I first navigated here, however the show changes every half hour or so. Currently, it should be showing "Live TBS - Friends..."

Clicking the refresh option on either the content or parent folder does nothing.

Another issue is that it seems to be caching the playback in a bad way.

When I start playing the Live channel through Emby, it starts off at the point that I originally began watching the channel. The duration keeps increasing (starts at 0:06, then jumps 0:57, then 1:54, etc...), and I have to keep dragging the play position to the end until it catches up with the actual live stream.

So, in the case of the TBS channel, it starts playing the American Dad episode; and I have to drag to marker til about the XX minute mark to get to the current Friends episode. (the duration increases with every playback, so the XX minute mark is always being raised)

Again, refreshing does not help.

Restarting the server does appear to restart the playback issue, however the metadata issue still persists.

The metadata issue is not that big of a deal in my opinion, because I can manually edit the info and just change the title to something generic like 'Live TBS' and ignore the show info. However, the playback issue is very annoying to deal with.

I've attached the server log for good measure. I just think that there's a little bit too much caching happening for live content to be played correctly through PlayOn.

Cheers,

-James

server-63630547156.txt

hi @@beatter, the core server currently only allows channel plugins to update their content twice a day. The play on plugin developer has asked us to provide a way for his plugin to override that, but we just haven't looked at it yet.

As far as the playback issue goes, please contact @@snazy2000 who is the developer of the plugin. We will need him to help look at that and assess where that type of caching might be coming from. Thanks !

beatter

Thanks for the info, that's good to know about the metadata.

I did some more investigation about the playback and discovered it's more an issue on the PlayOn side than the Emby side. The flv stream that the plugin utilizes persists the content for some time and will just append to the same file when a new stream starts. (not sure what causes PlayOn to start fresh, but it happens periodically)

There is also a m3u8 playlist available through the same PlayOn API, which does have the same issue, but allows you to jump to the most recent .ts file and start from there instead of having to start from the beginning. It also appears to be a higher quality stream.

@@snazy2000, would it be possible to adjust the plugin to use the ts stream instead of the flv stream?

Edit:

This is more of a 'nice to have' type of thing, but would it be possible to remove the channel categories folder and instead just go straight to showing all channels?

For one, the tiny icons just look odd being stretched out. Another thing is they don't seem to match up exactly with my PlayOn server. 

I understand the appeal of having this screen if there are a lot of channels you use, so maybe add it as an option to remove? 

Just a suggestion, not really that big of a deal, I'm really just trying to save myself from one extra click.

Edited by beatter

• 2 months later...

hi @@beatter, the core server currently only allows channel plugins to update their content twice a day. The play on plugin developer has asked us to provide a way for his plugin to override that, but we just haven't looked at it yet.

As far as the playback issue goes, please contact @@snazy2000 who is the developer of the plugin. We will need him to help look at that and assess where that type of caching might be coming from. Thanks !

+1 vote for prioritizing this capability.