When using a M3U - Does the client or emby server communicate with stream?

themimperials
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

themimperials

Hey guys,

Quick tech question. If you run a M3U file as Live TV for IPTV on your Emby server, and one of your clients - say a PC with Emby theater or an iPhone with Emby app - accesses the server and runs a TV channel, will all communication to the M3U source go through the Emby server then? Or will the individual clients just be given redirected to receive the stream directly off the internet?

• Solution

It depends on the app, the media format of the stream, and the supported formats of the app.

Emby apps that are in app stores will go through the server. Standalone Emby apps will direct play from the internet when possible to do so.

• Like 2

The app stores record all external domains that our apps contact. We have to comply with app store policies.

• Like 1

themimperials
Hmm ok, would there be a way to actually make the stream always go through the server, on all clients? For the wife acceptance factor, it is pretty important that it "just works", and the thing is I need to be on a VPN to access a the IPTV M3U in question. 

One of the clients will be an NVIDIA Shield running SPMC(KODI) with Emby for KODI - so I assume that client will want to direct play off the internet.

We don't currently have a setting for that although it's probably a good idea to add it.

Nonetheless, I think you'll find it still just works anyway. If the video player throws an error on the direct url, our apps will automatically switch over to trancoding.

Jdiesel

Hmm ok, would there be a way to actually make the stream always go through the server, on all clients? For the wife acceptance factor, it is pretty important that it "just works", and the thing is I need to be on a VPN to access a the IPTV M3U in question. 
One of the clients will be an NVIDIA Shield running SPMC(KODI) with Emby for KODI - so I assume that client will want to direct play off the internet.

I don't have any experience with LiveTV support in the Emby for Kodi app but I do recall it was added in some limited form. I guess what you can do is try it and see if it is grabbing the stream directly or through the server. Have you tried the Emby app for Android TV? It offers a much better live TV experience compared to Kodi. On my Kodi clients I use the Simple IPTV plugin for live TV independant from the rest of my media delivered through EMby.  

themimperials

I don't have any experience with LiveTV support in the Emby for Kodi app but I do recall it was added in some limited form. I guess what you can do is try it and see if it is grabbing the stream directly or through the server. Have you tried the Emby app for Android TV? It offers a much better live TV experience compared to Kodi. On my Kodi clients I use the Simple IPTV plugin for live TV independant from the rest of my media delivered through EMby.  

Oh, good points! The only problem is I would need to have my Shield then be on VPN as well, or else the stream won't load due to geo restrictions.

themimperials

We don't currently have a setting for that although it's probably a good idea to add it.

Nonetheless, I think you'll find it still just works anyway. If the video player throws an error on the direct url, our apps will automatically switch over to trancoding.

Sounds good, I think that would be the best way to make sure it always works, and never just hangs due to restrictions. Should I go ahead and request this feature, and can I get a notification then when/if it gets implemented?

Thank you for your awesome support btw.

maegibbons

+1 and for stream sharing across multiple clients through server to reduce incoming bandwidth.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Thuzad
Hello, sorry to go back a topic ..

I would like to know if the operation is always the same. Does the IPTV only go through the server or can it directly read the stream from the links?

I would all streams go through my server that will have a VPN in front. Is it possible with Emby?

All app store apps go through the server. So in most cases you'll get what you want, although it isn't guaranteed.

Thuzad
Thank you for the quick reply.

Is there a way to force it through iptables or other rules? I am especially interested to know how it works, when streaming from a browser or a chromecast.

Chromecast will go through the server always. The browser we allow to direct play but most of the time this won't happen anyway due to limited format support in the browser.

The app stores record all external domains that our apps contact. We have to comply with app store policies.

Wait, so our information and use is being tracked in some manner (even if it's not by Emby)?

Doesn't that violate numerous Country laws now on the books that require the user the ability to opt out of any such aggregation of data?

I can't speak for the app stores. I didn't say for a fact they are doing this, but they certainly have the ability to if they want. And that's not something that we're going to risk.

Wait, so our information and use is being tracked in some manner (even if it's not by Emby)?

Doesn't that violate numerous Country laws now on the books that require the user the ability to opt out of any such aggregation of data?

The fact that you access a particular url is not personal identifying data.

Yes, but what I'm asking is how the "store" is getting this information?

The only way they would get that once the app is downloaded and running on our hardware is if Emby hands this off to the store.

So to be more specific, is Emby giving/providing this information to any stores?

No. The stores can see whatever they want. Everything runs through their operating system apis.

pir8radio

This should be a setting..  Most iptv providers limit connections to one or two IP addresses, if they start seeing more than that you get disconnected.   Or other streams get booted.   So if i had a recording going on the server and someone tries to connect directly to my iptv service it will boot the recording off.  Then the streams are fighting.    Another issue is most of these iptv url's contain private info, like username and password for the service in clear text.  I would like to keep that between the server and the service if possible. 

• Like 2

No. The stores can see whatever they want. Everything runs through their operating system apis.

I'll disagree with this.  This would be a major issue in many countries including the UK.

I think your assuming something that doesn't happen.

If boxes were "phoning" home this information it would be all over the net with outrage from people.

Far to many people take their privacy seriously and monitor all these types of communications for IoT devices and whatnot.

On android, Google pushes the use of IPTV.  They even integrated into Live Channels, several IPTV apps that allow users to use m3u files to add their own content from their own sources.

You're not providing any links anywhere. IPTV is a defacto standard and isn't going anywhere.

Besides, do you think there is a material difference to a legal content provider if a "server" delivers the content directly or sits in the middle of such content?  Of course not.

• Like 1

EODCrafter

On android, Google pushes the use of IPTV......(THEIR IPTV)

I need to put a wire shark on my Player device and just look at what is being sent over the Web, if it's the same data as in the logs, those are human readable logins, streams, and passwords for all to have.......I use a VPN, but I'm still curious. Probably a good reason my channels keep dropping off, if for some reason the VPN gets deactivated, someone tries to access my streams. I made it a habit to change passwords at least once a week. I support Direct Playing but as @@Luke has stated, His Apps must comply with "App Store Policies", which is really a catch 22 since the worlds largest IPTV provider owns the App store.

Edited by EODCrafter

Its a risk we are not willing to take.  Sorry.

From the Amazon Device Terms of Service (emphasis mine):

a. Information Received. The Software will provide Amazon with information about use of your Amazon Device and its interaction with Digital Content and the Services (such as last page read, content archiving, available memory, up-time, log files, network diagnostics, content usage, viewing data, search queries, location, voice information, connectivity and signal strength). Information provided to Amazon may be processed in the cloud to improve your experience and our products and services, and may be stored on servers outside the country in which you live. We will handle any information we receive in accordance with the Amazon.com Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.com/privacy).
  • Like 1

EODCrafter

Its a risk we are not willing to take.  Sorry.

From the Amazon Device Terms of Service (emphasis mine):

I'm sure Google's Policy reads about the same.....I wonder how Google Fiber IPTV works? I don't have it in my area (Po-Dunk town) but i bet all there data is Direct Streamed and nicely encrypted.

Edited by EODCrafter