Force Hardware Acceleration?

FoulFoot

FoulFoot

I have a ASRock Beebox HTPC (Intel N3000 Celeron, Braswell graphics).  One of the recent versions of Emby Theater changed the hardware acceleration selections; it used to let you force it on, but now the best I can do is "Auto".  For whatever reason, "Auto" is not enabling hardware acceleration, so video playback stutters.  Is it possible to force it on through other means?

Foul

FoulFoot

I'll try that.  Is there a way to determine whether hardware acceleration is actually working, other than watching for stuttering?

Guest asrequested

You can enable logging in the mpv.conf, but before release, I thoroughly tested this, and it works correctly. Auto should also work, but it works differently. What CPU and GPU do you have? And what video settings are you using?

Edited by Doofus

FoulFoot

ASRock Beebox HTPC (Intel N3000 Celeron, Braswell graphics).  I know it can play smoothly, as VLC player works fine.

Output range is Auto, Deinterlacing is auto, display sync is off, OpenGL profile is off, Interpolation is off.

I'll run some more checks to see if auto copyback is working, and I'll try to confirm that it is thru the logging.

Incidentally, I have a scheduled reboot of my system every night, and recently Emby hasn't been restarting along with Windows.  The option is set in Emby.  Something seems to be getting hung up with the updater and it's failing to load.  This is on 2.7.0; I need to manually update it to 2.7.1.

Guest asrequested

Try deinterlacing: YES.

As for the updating, that happens after you use Theater for a little bit, it will check periodically for updates. Once it finds one, then when you start Theater again, it will update. Just keep using it as you normally would. It will update, eventually.

For logging, you need to put something like this in your mpv.conf. And obviously choose the path that you want.

log-file="F:\New folder\log.txt"
Edited by Doofus

FoulFoot

Alrighty:

1. Hardware decoding seems to be working via "auto copyback".  Verified it via the log.

2. Setting deinterlacing to "yes" results in a slideshow.  Makes sense; it's trying to deinterlace everything.  I put it back to "no".

3. Everything appears smooth -- so thanks!

4. The option to start with Windows is broken.  I actually have two HTPCs, and it doesn't work on either.  I had to manually insert it to the startup sequence.  Not a big deal, but probably something that needs to be looked at.

Foul

Guest asrequested

I'm glad it's working well, for you. It would appear your hardware can't handle the extra load that deinterlacing puts on in. Here's what the mpv manual says about deinterlacing.

591a684786ea9_Snapshot_123.jpg