Android TV and HTTPS through 8920 port

fgs

Greetings.

Wondering if my purchased Emby TV app supports secure connections. I managed to get it working for my smartphone and tablet devices under Emby for Android (from the same network, as HTTP(S) through 8920 maybe network tricky) but no luck yet with the TV app.

I enter the server URL, leaving the port field blank, as for the Android devices app and the general "error connecting" is the feedback.

Anything I should have been looking in special for the TV app to work securely? Thanks.

Edited by fgs

Hi.  This will only work with a true signed certificate that can be accepted by the Android TV device (like LetsEncrypt).  It won't work with the default self signed cert that comes with the server.

Does that help?

Indeed. I went through the "Let's Encrypt" steps and they're okay for my smartphone and tablet computer.

The Android TV app affected runs on a "WeTek Core" box, standard.

Thanks anyway.

This is Unix/BSD, Sir. A "point-and-click" install of the "FreeNAS" community plugin, so to speak.

As far as I could tell, the Android TV app is my only issue. The TV app being paid one, I'll be glad to dump some debug file for official analysis. Thank you.

Edited by fgs

aptalca

Greetings.

Wondering if my purchased Emby TV app supports secure connections. I managed to get it working for my smartphone and tablet devices under Emby for Android (from the same network, as HTTP(S) through 8920 maybe network tricky) but no luck yet with the TV app.

I enter the server URL, leaving the port field blank, as for the Android devices app and the general "error connecting" is the feedback.

Anything I should have been looking in special for the TV app to work securely? Thanks.

You need to specify the port. If you just enter an https url without a port, it will try to use 443

Enter it in as https://your.url:8920

You need to specify the port. If you just enter an https url without a port, it will try to use 443

Enter it in as https://your.url:8920

The app has a specific field for the port now.

This is Unix/BSD, Sir. A "point-and-click" install of the "FreeNAS" community plugin, so to speak.

As far as I could tell, the Android TV app is my only issue. The TV app being paid one, I'll be glad to dump some debug file for official analysis. Thank you.

Please see here.

Unfortunately, I don't see your point. Maybe you're saying the "Let's Encrypt" certificate are not enough for the Android TV app?

No, not interested in changing my server config at this point. Having the smartphone and tablet working securely through port 8920, I'll just apply for an app refund then. I could try the non-TV, Emby Android app on the affected device, though.

Unfortunately, I don't see your point. Maybe you're saying the "Let's Encrypt" certificate are not enough for the Android TV app?

Hi.  Did you read the posts I linked to?  There is a bug in Mono (which we depend on for Unix/Linux installs) that is not passing through the entire certificate chain. But, it looks like it can be fixed with a bit of manual intervention.

I can go down the path of leaving the FreeNAS plugin install as is and setup a virtual machine to test your suggested workaround.

Please advise on Linux base install distribution you consider " standard " for development. I mean, where Emby server should work best.

(... Yeah, that exists and makes difference...)

... And I won't require an app refund.

Probably debian, ubuntu or docker on a linux OS. In mono 4.8 they revamped the TLS stack and we will be updating our packages to that very soon.

I appreciate your advice.

I was gonna say " CEntOS" as a prime development target but since you suggest Debian and derivatives... " Docker " doesn't apply to my case and isn't Linux base install either.

I'll check the workaround thread again and see what's closer to their findings for distribution choice.

Thank you.