A couple navigation enhancement suggestions

bardmaster
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

dcook

If you make one button press take you to the login screen regardless of where you are currently are in the app, I think it would be much faster then having to press the Roku Home button and relaunching the app.

The point is to make it quicker to change users without having to close the app and open it again.

But isn't that method going to be much quicker than what you are requesting (backing all the way out of the app to the login screen) anyway?

If you make one button press take you to the login screen regardless of where you are currently are in the app, I think it would be much faster then having to press the Roku Home button and relaunching the app.

The point is to make it quicker to change users without having to close the app and open it again.

But there is no button to do that with on the remote.

But there is no button to do that with on the remote.

Some devices, roku3 and ultra for sure, have gaming buttons A/B you can do this with. Granted, not a catch-all for every device, but some devices do have buttons going unused that could do this. As such, those users with these remotes could take advantage of such an opportunity to do more with less clicks. Edited by speechles

Some devices, roku3 and ultra for sure, have gaming buttons A/B you can do this with. Granted, not a catch-all for every device, but some devices do have buttons going unused that could do this. As such, those users with these remotes could take advantage of such an opportunity to do more with less clicks.

The problem is dcook, you and me are the only people in the world that would ever know they did that.  Oh, except for the random person who pressed one of them and then said "WTF just happened...?"

dcook

I don't know what the solution is, but there must be a way to design a method to switch users without more than clicking a couple times?

Scrolling all the way to the bottom of the home page or pressing * and going into the settings is not an ideal solution.

It does not make sense when right now the fastest way is to exit the app and relaunch it.  To me that is poor design.  Once the app is loaded, if I can switch users by pressing a button once or twice would be faster then closing the app and waiting for it to relaunch which is what I am doing now.

Why not just have the back button stop at the user selection screen before giving you the prompt to confirm you want to exit the app?

The problem is dcook, you and me are the only people in the world that would ever know they did that.  Oh, except for the random person who pressed one of them and then said "WTF just happened...?"

There is room in the header to add (*-options A-logout B-choose server) so they would know what just happened. There is also a way to tell which roku do indeed have these gaming buttons known as A and B. Not saying this is the best answer, but for the moment it appears the quickest way to implement it and roll the dice.. possibly

But...There is another way to tell when a button is pressed and released on the remote, using press and unpress, and how long the interval between these was is how it can be implemented. This would work on any device. So maybe, If the answer isnt the gaming buttons, which the final solution cant be since not all remotes offer these, then maybe use long press of the UP dpad direction. Hold up for long enough, you go back to either the select user screeen or select server screen. A normal press of up, moves up a row,, but if you are on the top node of that screen and press up, this is where you can trap a long press. So it would work on any screen. Could long press/hold be the best and most intuitive way to do this?

Edited by speechles

Could long press/hold be the best and most intuitive way to do this?

That is not intuitive in my opinion.  Hidden functions like this are never a good idea.

Why not just have the back button stop at the user selection screen before giving you the prompt to confirm you want to exit the app?

Setting aside the technical reasons that isn't dead simple, that is still a possibility.  

However, if you are anywhere except the home screen, it would still be faster to use the home button, relaunch method than backing all the way back to the login screen.

The most likely scenario for some sort of resolution here will be to mimic what Theater does and produce multiple options in that dialog that comes up now asking if you want to exit.  One of those options would be "Switch User".  But, there is a risk of us failing validation on that as they have a specific requirement that the back button allows you to exit the app.  May still be okay, may not.

• 3 weeks later...
bardmaster

@@ebr I identified an issue with the new page down option in the Live TV Guide: when you page down at the end of the list of channels it locks up. I sent a log from the Matrix user.

@@ebr I identified an issue with the new page down option in the Live TV Guide: when you page down at the end of the list of channels it locks up. I sent a log from the Matrix user.

Thanks, I'll take a look.