Who has a VR helmet?

Guest asrequested

AdrianW

I have a Vive - I'd say definitely not recommended for watching movies. The resolution just isn't there.

It's quite cool to mess around with - you can have what appears to be a giant cinema screen which can either be flat or curved, and it can optionally be in an environment (like a cinema with seats). It also plays 3D movies and 180° & 360° videos.

But, there's no way I'd want to watch an entire movie in there. A big screen TV is just so much clearer.

Guest asrequested

I have a Vive - I'd say definitely not recommended for watching movies. The resolution just isn't there.

It's quite cool to mess around with - you can have what appears to be a giant cinema screen which can either be flat or curved, and it can optionally be in an environment (like a cinema with seats). It also plays 3D movies and 180° & 360° videos.

But, there's no way I'd want to watch an entire movie in there. A big screen TV is just so much clearer.

I was looking at the Vive, last night. It looks great. How comfortable is it? So I guess the resolution isn't high enough for movies?

AdrianW

I was looking at the Vive, last night. It looks great. How comfortable is it? So I guess the resolution isn't high enough for movies?

For games it is great, yes. But, I wouldn't recommend one for watching movies.

It takes a little time to get comfortable - there's adjustable straps on top and at the sides, as well as a lens distance knob on the side. But, once you have it adjusted it's fine. There is a new "deluxe audio strap" available very soon. Apparently the Oculus Rift is more comfortable out of the box, but it has other issues - like needing three USB connected sensors for room-scale tracking where the Vive just needs two standalone "lighthouses".

Suggest you spend some time in the Vive subreddit.