Emby Client on Different Subnet from Server

nominion

nominion

I'm having an issue with my NVIDIA Shields logging in to the server.  The Sheilds are on one subnet (192.168.11.0/24) while the server is on another (192.168.12.0/24).  On the Shield, if you go back to the main menu and then go back to the Emby app, it can't find the pre-configured server.  It then presents a menu of users.  If I click on one of the user that I have setup, it logs in to the server right away.  

Has anyone else experienced this?

Do you have the app configured to automatically log in to a specific user?

nominion

Yes, the app is configured to auto login.  I have it setup to stay logged in for up to 24 hours.  If I to back to the main Android menu on the Shield and go back in to Emby, that's when it breaks.  

It initially fails when trying to connect to the pre-configured server and presents the list of users.  If I click on the user, it logs in immediately, so I know the user/pass and the server IP are correct.

It's just weird that it doesn't work when launching the Emby app.  

mwongjay

I also had a similar experience and created a topic about the same issue. Below are the tests I did.

Below are excerpts from that topic describing the issue and what tests I tried

I have multiple networks. The server is on 192.168.20.0/24, the clients are all on 192.168.10.0/24. Whenever Emby is started from a fire tv client the loader icon begins spinning, freezes for 1-2 sec, then I receive the message "unable to connect to configured server <name>", and less than 2 seconds later it discovers and connects to the server. That process of starting up, loader freezing, error message, server discovery happens every time. 

Test cases:

When a user is set to auto log in: Log in, press Fire tv home button, open Emby, I am automatically logged in and works as expected.

When a user is set to auto log in: Log in, log out, open Emby, I receive issue stated earlier.

When user is NOT set to auto log in: The issue above is resolved. No trouble finding server and clicking a user works as expected.

It's odd this issue is only encountered when auto log in for a user is set and the user is required to authenticate. Do you know the reason this causes the issue? 

nominion

Thanks for adding that info to this thread.  Hopefully the developers are able to test this and find a resolution.  

nominion

Any updates?  Curious if anyone has been able to reproduce this issue as it continues for me and is very annoying.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
mwongjay

Any updates?  Curious if anyone has been able to reproduce this issue as it continues for me and is very annoying.  Thanks!

For the record I still have this issue and while it is annoying there is really only a subset of users that really have this network setup. I anticipate this being an issue for a bit as it probably isn't a high priority which is unfortunate for us, but there are higher priority issues that affect many more users (picture issues, stream delays, etc). 

That being said my settings are to NOT automatically log in a user and logout after 30 min (or whatever that setting is in the fire tv app settings - unfortunately I'm not at home so I'm not sure exactly what it says). The result of these settings is when opening the Emby app after a significant period of inactivity it takes about 10 seconds to throw an error saying it can't find the server, then the users appear. If you close the app and reopen in a short period of time (couple hours) it has no problem finding the server and users are listed as expected.