Api Auth when hasPassword is False

sampsonight

sampsonight

I was reading the authentication wiki: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki/Authentication

Specifically the section about authing a user without a password.

The web ui appears to go through a handshake and find the password used to authenticate a user whose hasPassword value is false. 

I can get the userId of public users, what is the url to hit to get the public users password when hasPassword is false?

sampsonight

I don't think so. The request to authenticateByName contains the username, password, and md5. I can see the password in the post and have used that to auth via the api. But I don't see where it is initially found when querying public users.

590f4d1e21a97_authenticateByNameSanitize

The web app simply detects when there is only one single user and that user doesn't have a password, then it logs them straight in. We haven't documented this just yet because it is currently the only app doing it.

sampsonight

Ok, makes sense.

I dug a little deeper and added a second user without a password. Looking at the web logs the same password/md5 was used to log that user in.

There appears to be a single password/md5 for all users that do not have a password. 

Is this password/md5 unique to a server instance or will this combo work on *any* emby server where a user has not set their password?

You always issue the same authentication request whether there is a password or not. When there is none then you just omit the password.

sampsonight

If I make a post to athenticateByName and I set the password in the payload to an empty string I get a 401 unauthorized.

I've added the below 3 screenshots from postman demonstrating what I see. 200 if password is set, 401 if password is blank, 500 if password key is not in the json sent to server.  Also I it appears that md5 is optional in a hasPassword=false user (I havn't tested with a user that has a pass)

590f860875dc7_authByUserPostWithPassSani

590f86190ae94_authByBameBlankPass.png

590f862b93024_authByNamePasswordKeyNotIn

Yea I was stating that off of memory alone so you are right, yes.

sampsonight

OK. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything on the auth for users without a password. Thanks for your help  :)