External Player VLC doesn't Play

rcarteraz

rcarteraz

So I just purchased the new NVIDIA SHIELD and I'm trying to use VLC as external player so that I can direct play all my media as the internal player direct streams everything instead. Additionally I want the extra functionality that VLC offers vs the internal Player.

For some reason when I select play and it switches over to the VLC Player it just goes to a black screen. I have both Use External Player for Videos check and Pass Direct Path checked. Also, I'm able to navigate to the video directly within VLC and it plays fine.

Not sure what I'm missing here. Any ideas?

log.txt

Edited by rcarteraz

rcarteraz

If you uncheck use direct path does it work?

Yes, it does. I've double checked Path Substitutions and they are correct so I'm still confused.

If you create the problem and send a log from the app, I may be able to tell you what it is trying to use as a path.  As the big warning box that comes up when you select that option says :) this can be tricky to get exactly how it needs to be.

rcarteraz

If you create the problem and send a log from the app, I may be able to tell you what it is trying to use as a path.  As the big warning box that comes up when you select that option says :) this can be tricky to get exactly how it needs to be.

I'll try doing that shortly for you. Yeah, it always seems to be that way for me too lol. Had the hardest time with Kodi previously lol.

rcarteraz

How do you send a log within the emby app on the shield? 

rcarteraz

If you create the problem and send a log from the app, I may be able to tell you what it is trying to use as a path. As the big warning box that comes up when you select that option says :) this can be tricky to get exactly how it needs to be.

Okay, I was finally able to do this. Sorry work has been busy. Let me know if I have it all screwed up.

Can you please provide me the information requested in the topic Luke linked to (under sending the app log) so I can find it?  Thanks!

rcarteraz

Can you please provide me the information requested in the topic Luke linked to (under sending the app log) so I can find it?  Thanks!

Okay, sorry it took so long to reply. I just went ahead and tried it again now.

Attemping to play using an external player (VLC) so that I can have it play the file directly.

Tried playing Psych.S5E07.Ferry Tale.mkv at 6:01 pm MST. Screen goes white and then black as it switches to VLC. Screen stays black, does not load. Waited one minute and then I pressed back. Emby came back up with a dialog box "Mark Watched: The item didn't appear to play as long as its duration. Mark watched?" Which I selected No. Another box" Next Up is Shawn 2.0" I selected cancel.

Name on local server: RCarter

Time log sent: 6:04pm MST

Again, thanks for the help. Let me know if I have it screwed up. I've tried every which way I can think of.

The log you sent was truncated at the start such that it seemed to begin only after returning from the external player.  This may be the way it works when calling out to an external program, unfortunately.

So, the end result is, I cannot see what the path is that is being sent.  Sorry.  

rcarteraz

The log you sent was truncated at the start such that it seemed to begin only after returning from the external player. This may be the way it works when calling out to an external program, unfortunately.

So, the end result is, I cannot see what the path is that is being sent. Sorry.

So, I was tinkering around with Kodi and I noticed that with Kodi it requires that in the server under Path substitution it be entered like this "\\192.168.0.4\v\" in order for direct path to work. So I changed it from what I had originally which was "192.168.0.4\v"

So I decided to try the Emby app again with it like this however it popped up it couldn't find the file and I noticed there were an extra "\\" shown like this "smb:////192.168.0.4/v" So, I removed it and it does what it did before and just goes to a black screen. So I'm not sure what to do.