[SOLVED] ipad app - no playback (Safari and Android OK)

barat

barat

Hi,

i have a problem ... I cannot play movies via iPad app...

Server is working Ok since playback is ok through:

• Android Emby app
  • Android Chrome (tv.emby.media)
  • Emby for Kodi
  • Windows Chrome/Firefox/IE (tv.emby.media)
  • iPad Safari (tv.emby.media)

I have newest version of app from App Store.

I attached logs (hope those are enough).

ffmpeg.txt

server.txt

Edited by barat

hi @@barat, it looks like this error is happening server side and you should be able to resolve the issue by disabling hardware acceleration in server transcoding settings.

barat

Hi, @@Luke

Disabling VA-API helped, but I don't understand why it's an issue. Playback from Safari (tv.emby.media or ip:port) works ok on same iPad ...

Next thing is, that VA-API should work on Synology DS916+ ... weird :/

It looks like just an issue with that particular file with vaapi to me. Thanks.

barat

Maybe ... but still ... for Safari on same iPad everything is OK ... this is weird that on same device I have playback in browser, but not in app ...

I think it is related to burning in the subtitles, so maybe they were selected on one but not the other.

barat

Nope - was watching same file in Safari with subtitles ...

There is something weird as I said ...

Logs from playing in Safari (all OK)

ffmpeg.txt

server.txt

Edited by barat

There's no burning in there so the subtitles are rendering in the safari browser. The behavior should be the same in the app but it's possible there was some kind of error with that and it automatically switched to burning them in. I would suggest trying it again after the next app update.

barat

It might have sense ...

Checked few files, lot of them actually works, but:

• If a file has embedded subtitles in ASS/SSA or txt then it's not working (tries to transcode = no go_
  • If a file has external subtitles in above format = no go
  • If file doesn't have subs (or in "proper format" eg. srt) = ok
  • If file is mpeg2, mpeg4 (avi, mkv, DVD iso ... doesn't mater) = transcoding and playback OK, but DS916+ with VA API enabled still showing 98% CPU usage ...
  • Same files with ASS/SSA plays fine in iPad safari - server saying it's direct-streaming (bit can't go fullscreen because then no subtitles)

For some reason iPad app can't do things that Safari allow on same device ...

Plus - VA-API seems to not reduce CPU usage ... but i think that this is something for Synology thread ...

barat

If I disable - Dragon Ball with SSA is working, but there is no subtitles ... other movie (mpeg4) is still taking 92-98% CPU ...

Same Dragon Ball with SSA plays just fine in safari on same device ...

Ok, I would suggest trying the next update to the app. thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
barat

Any news about this?

It's annoying that "native" iOS App works worse than tv.emby.media in Safari on same device ... why Safari can handle ASS/SSA subs without issue (no transcoding, but just "normal" subs without colors/positioning of course), and Emby app not?

Not to mention that hardware transcode crashes with such subtitles (but this is Server issue), so I need to disable it if I want to watch specific shows (mostly Anime)... not that for C# try...catch exists ...

Not yet, it will be in the next update, thanks.

By the way - this is not true:

Safari can handle ASS/SSA subs without issue

We have to do some gymnastics just to make this possible, this is not a natively supported subtitle format on apple devices.

barat

By the way - this is not true:

Safari can handle ASS/SSA subs without issue

We have to do some gymnastics just to make this possible, this is not a natively supported subtitle format on apple devices.

Good to know. Lets hope, that this gymnastics will work in app as well :)

Can't wait for update to rollout :D

Edited by barat

barat

I don't know if 1.38 is this "new version", but after update I can finally watch movie with ASS/SSA if I disable hardware transcoding. Cpu of DS916+ is powerfull enougth, subtitles are even "formatted" and placed as they should (so "better" than in Safari) ...

Downside is that Safari is direct streaming/playing, and App is transcoding, but as I said CPU is good enough.

Too bad, that when I enable HW transcode there is still no play (but this is server issue). Would be nice if server could detect exception and fallback to software transcoding. HW transcode for DS916+ was "killer feature" vs Plex s I bought lifetime ... too bad, that I need to disable it :/

Edited by barat

If the browser is direct streaming it then there is no reason the app can't either. Check the in-app bitrate setting. Is it on Auto or is it set to a specific value? 

barat

No luck...

Safari: direct stream, but subtitles are unformatted (just like srt). bad thing - full screen safari = no subs (only ASS/SSA - others are fine)

App: 4k 120Mbps or Auto - transcoding, but ASS/SSA displayed with proper font and placement + full screen

There is still something weird wit this. If you want some logs or test case then I can provide those. Just write what I should do before sending logs - maybe test scenario like "Given I log to emby as * ... I should See ... When... " :D

BTW. Try... catch for HW transcode would be appreciated so that I don't need to enable/disable it all the time.

Edited by barat

This right here though will be expected behavior for safari:

full screen safari = no subs (only ASS/SSA - others are fine)

Nothing we can do. the safari video player does not support ass/ssa, so we are rendering the subtitles ourselves in a layer on top in order to avoid the burn in transcoding. Once you go fullscreen with safari, we can't render that layer anymore. Come to think of it, this probably justifies always burning in for safari because users are just going to hammer us with reports of "subtitles not working".

barat

So maybe plugin (?), which detects unsupported subs and auto-converts them to supported ones (just something like auto-download, but in this case no download needed) ... I don't know how much work it may be ... still some external software may be used to do this with whole library, but fire&forget feature built in Emby would be awesome :)

BTW. If you say, that Safari subs are "norml behaviour" then I don't need to attach logs. Seems logical, but still confusing when user don't know about this.

So actually this thread is "closed" for me - thanks for the effort, and think about some hw transcode fallback to sw on Exception :)

Seems logical, but still confusing when user don't know about this.

for the browser, it won't be confusing when we just take the feature away. You'll get your subtitles, you'll just have to live with them being burned in with transcoding.