Web App downmix audio to stereo?

Eclipse2020

Eclipse2020

Hi there,

Is there any way to downmix audio from all file formats by default to 2.0 in the web application? Its playing the 5.1 that the source has but it just doesn't sound right to my ears. I've been looking for ways to try and do this for about a month now and I've not had any luck. I'm running the server on Ubuntu if that helps at all. My transcode logs, right at the top, say "TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=6" but is there a way to set it to two? 

Thank you for reading!

Hi, we don't currently have a setting for this. what browser are you using?

Eclipse2020

I'm using a variation of Chrome named SRWare Iron. Its pretty much Chrome with the privacy invasion torn out. Its a shame that there isn't a way to change this setting yet. Thank you for your rapid response!

The reason I was asking is because Chrome usually downmixes better than firefox, just in case you happened to be using FF.

• 3 months later...
ianawilson

I just had a problem with this recently where I connected a laptop to a TV, and the TV wouldn't downmix it from 5.1 to stereo, but played the audio over it's stereo speakers. The video I was watching had all of the speech in the center channel, so all we got was music, no voice. Was terribly annoying.

Thinking back, I just realized that this was on Firefox, so that's a good suggestion to try Chrome next time. Still, this would be a nice to have feature within the web app.

Yea it's a good idea. Right now we preserve the audio channels as is in an effort to try and avoid transcoding, because many people like that. But a force downmix option would be nice too.

Freshman

Friend of mine, who uses my Emby web app from MacBook with Firefox has started to have the same problem - many movies are without dialogs. It used to work well before, so something has changed recently (either Emby, or Firefox, or Apple, ...). I don't have any Apple device around and I won't get a chance to experiment with his device, so as of now I know nothing... But it used to work, and "force downmix to stereo" setting would certainly help.

Edited by Freshman