Recorded shows have a long delay when starting the playback

Jonathon
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Jonathon

Recently, all shows recorded using Emby server that are played back using the Amazon Fire app have a long delay when starting.  The delay is anywhere between 30 seconds up to about 5 minutes.  Playing the same files back on the web app do not have any delay.  Playing back other video files on the Amazon Fire app also do not have any delay.  The server logs show the following (additional server logs are attached):

2017-05-01 21:29:09.5249 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.10:8096/emby/Videos/a09d57d84e6128381c278b0a0a5fb260/stream.mp4?DeviceId=e5d252d8cba9a57f&Static=true&Tag=8eb2d1d0ea099619c08684fdd84ee7fc&MediaSourceId=a09d57d84e6128381c278b0a0a5fb260. UserAgent: VLC/3.0.0-git LibVLC/3.0.0-git
2017-05-01 21:29:09.5249 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.2.13.0
    Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Processor count: 8
    Program data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
    Application directory: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.IO.IOException: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndSend(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

I am using Emby server version 3.2.13.0 and app version 1.3.35a.  I collected logs while the playback was starting and sent them from the app at about 21:30 PDT.

Jon

serverlogs.txt

Edited by Jonathon

nuahsocramid

I too have been experiencing the same thing... But for me I think I've narrowed it down to when I select to have Emby convert my recordings on the fly to San MP4 container. I'd attach a log, but not able to at this time. I'm noticing this on a Nexus Player... But have not confirmed if it takes place on my Nvidia Shield.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hi.  Can you please attach the full server log.  The part you cut out is not really a problem.

@@Jonathon

@@nuahsocramid

Can you please attach the complete emby server log from the time of the playback attempt, as well as the ffmpeg log (if there was one). You can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Also, how were these recordings created?

Thanks !

Jonathon

I just added the entire server log to my original post.  There are a lot of other playback sessions included in the log.  I do see a number of ffmpeg-transcode-* log files, but none from one of the problem playback attempts.

The recordings are created by Emby using one of two HDHomerun (hdhr4-2us) tuners. 

I am seeing this on my Fire TV.  I also have a Nexus player or Android app I can try on as well if that would be helpful.  It was mentioned by nuahsocramid that it may be related to converting recordings on the fly.  I do have the selected on the server.  I can try disabling that and attempting a few recordings to see if that changes things.

Jon

maegibbons

Yes.  Do try switching off coversion of the recording and test.

Also when you play it in the fire tv on the osd note if it is "Direct/V", "trans/V" or "trans/I".

Krs

Mark

nuahsocramid

Thanks for looking into this.

The issue happens only on my Nexus Player and when playing recorded shows (recorded via Emby) off of my HDHomerun Extend, and then using the Emby convert to MP4, the shows play as "transcode".

On my Nvidia Shield the same file Direct Plays.

emby log.txt

Jonathon

I disabled the conversion and recorded another show.  The playback was fine on that new recording.  Where do I look to see if the playback is using "Direct/V", "trans/V" or "trans/I"?

Jon

nuahsocramid

My guess, Jon, is via the Emby server web interface. That's where I see what's playing on which device and if it's direct playing or transcoding.

• Solution

@@Jonathon

@@nuahsocramid

This is resolved for the next release of Emby Server. By resolved, I mean that new recordings after the update will not exhibit this behavior, but files that have already been recorded will continue to. Thanks !

• Like 1

maegibbons

I disabled the conversion and recorded another show.  The playback was fine on that new recording.  Where do I look to see if the playback is using "Direct/V", "trans/V" or "trans/I"?

Jon

You can see this info on the F/ATV OSD if you bring it up by , say, hitting the down arrow when playing a recording.

Krs

Mark

You can see this info on the F/ATV OSD if you bring it up by , say, hitting the down arrow when playing a recording.

Krs

Mark

Fyi this only shows if you have the debug options enabled.

maegibbons

Fyi this only shows if you have the debug options enabled.

Good Point!  Thanks for straightening me out!

Krs

Mark