Possible Bug or Restriction

simono5
Go to solution Solved by darwindeeds,

simono5

Hi all,

Loving the progress the project is making with MBS, MBT, iOS and Android Clients all being used in our household.

I've configured my set-up for remote access whilst away from home.  One problem I am experiencing is with the iOS app.  When streaming a movie over the internet the movie always starts, plays for about 20 seconds and then the video stops but the audio continues.  It looks as the movie is still buffering correctly but nothing I do gets the video playing again.

Is this a restriction of streaming over the internet or is there a little bug somewhere in the iOS app?

Cheers

cucciolina

I have the same issue with my iPhone 5S. Other apps like Video Stream works with remote access over internet, i use dlinkddns, ports are open and windows firewall it's set up correctly, but i really love Mediabrowser, hope this feature will work with new updates.

It really sounds like your server is not able to handle the transcoding. But the only way we can confirm that or say it is something else is if you guys provide logs for things.

It really sounds like your server is not able to handle the transcoding. But the only way we can confirm that or say it is something else is if you guys provide logs for things.

Yup my first suspicion as well.

simono5

I will need a debug server log and an ffmpeg log from a play event.

What cpu are you running in your server?

Here is a how to with log files.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1209-getting-useful-logs-media-info/

Thank you.

CPU is a AMD Athlon II x2 270 3.4GHz

Logs.....I hope they are what you requested;

http://paste2.org/NNMGAgyV

http://paste2.org/6PdW9ZNc

Thanks for your help.

Its not your cpu but i would like a full server log please If you dont want to post full log publically pm me a link

TIA

simono5

Can you also try playback from safari on you device thanks.

From my iOS device using Safari I can't get past the user/password screen. 

I enter the correct details and just get the circle going round and round and never actually log in.

simono5

It's a Windows 8.1 server and yes ports 8096 and 8945 and forwarded on to the server.

Must admit I'm not sure how to configure the routers firewall or test that the firewall allows the traffic.

PS I've just disabled the router and windows 8 firewalls and the behaviour is exactly the same

Thanks again.

Edited by simono5

cucciolina

Hi, i tried playback on safari and everything works perfectly on 3G, smooth video and audio. I tried with iPhone app several times and every files i play stops after seconds, i can hear audio only.

Hope this helps improving your gorgeous work.

Elisa

Ah lightbulb moment thank you I think I know what is happening. The iphone may be auto switching to the the audio only stream. Now this could be happening because you have the bandwidth set too high for your connection or it could be a bug causing the secondary stream to be selected over the primary.

@@darwindeeds can you repo this at all?

• Solution
darwindeeds

I have rewritten the streaming logic and I have tested the remote playback over cellular and I dont see the issues now. I would recommend waiting for the app to be updated.

• Like 1

simono5

I have rewritten the streaming logic and I have tested the remote playback over cellular and I dont see the issues now. I would recommend waiting for the app to be updated.

Thank you, happy to wait until the next release of the iOS app and re-test.