Roku transcoding 2ch aac

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

So I believe that the server is transcoding 2ch aac audio to mp3 instead of direct playing because it can not determine the bitrate of the aac track and thus falls back to mp3. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? I know the stream does direct play on the Roku as it does work in other apps.

Jdiesel

I've attached the server logs. I apologize for the size of the log file as the server had been running for a while scanning new media folders. If you need me to recreate the scenario I can later today when I get home.

Jdiesel

Just as a side note I notice this when playing to the android mobile app as well. Chrome will direct play though. I'm not even sure if the Android Mobile app supports 2ch aac but I would suspect it does.

• 2 weeks later...
Jdiesel

Just wanted to see I have an provide any more testing for feedback on this. It appears that is isn't a necessarily a Roku specific issue but rather a server issue as I also can't seem to get 2 channel aac audio without a reported bitrate to direct play (stream copy) in any app. I've attached transcoding logs for the Android and IOS apps. The Android app is transcoding from AAC to MP3 and the ISO is transcoding from AAC to AAC. 

Well that's not actually affecting direct play, so even if that were taken out of the equation, there would still be an ffmpeg process spinning up on the server and the audio would get copied.

Jdiesel

If I am not mistaken all live tv is technically direct streamed to allow some of the live TV features. Not that it is a significant issue but I'm curious to why aac is being trancoded rather than copied when the Roku supports 2-ch aac.

There are some scenarios where we need to be under a certain bitrate. I'm sure it can be improved.

Jdiesel

Just wanted to confirm that aac audio is now being copied and not transcoded to mp3 as of version 3.2.15.4. Thanks for looking into this.