Disregard Chapter XML?

Asturaetus

Asturaetus

Hi guys,

I know that for video files without chapters emby defaults to creating 'virtual' chapters & chapterimages in a constant interval of 5min.

Is there any way to force that behavior even for files that contain a chapter XML?

Asturaetus

Sad to hear that but ok.

Since it also concerns embys handling of chapters please allow me to add another issue/question:

I currently have some MKV files that make use of ordered chapters. Setting up emby to play them correctly wasn't that much of a problem. At least not if I use direct play. But the chapters in emby aren't correctly registered and handled for those files.

If for example the chapters XML of the MKV contains:

• Chapter 1   0:00 - 2:50
  • Chapter 2   0:00 - 1:30   with <ChapterSegmentUID> referencing a different MKV file in the folder
  • Chapter 3   2:50 - 4:00

emby creates for both chapter 1 and 2 chapter images at time code 0:00 of the main file - disregarding the referenced other file.

And if I try to play the file starting at chapter 2 (clicking on the chapter) - emby also tries to play it from time code 0:00 while correctly it would be from timecode 2:50 since the play length and the actual time codes during playback would incorporate all referenced parts. Similarily chapter 3 starts at 2:50 instead of 4:20.

Is there any way for me to fix this behavior and is this a currently known bug?

We have not done any work on supporting some kind of chapters XML file, so that would be all new development. I hadn't even heard of it to be honest.

Asturaetus

No, sorry - I think you misunderstand me - the chapter XML is nothing new. I am not talking about a separate chapters file. Chapters in an MKV container are essentially nothing more than an XML. 

The main issue I was talking about is just this particular method of linking different video parts/MKV files together which is done via the chapters in the MKV container. Or more specific with the ChapterSegmentUID element (as specified in the MKV standard https://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html -> see: ChapterSegmentUID).

And how emby currently can't handle it (makes mistake during the generation of the chapters/chapters images and how it handles starting a file from such a chapter).

Edited by Asturaetus

Yea we haven't looked at that at all. Haven't even really seen much demand for it to be honest.