Emby Server performance optimization suggestions

bardmaster

mCmanu

Unless you have a way to ensure that any outside machine can only access one of them, you should only run a single DHCP server.  Running two can give rise to subtle and variable network problems.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you can explain more on that either here or in private I would be more than happy to improve my knowledge.

From what I've read, it's a good practice to seperate the load of DHCP accross multiple servers into different scopes for: a ) getting devices an "offer" quicker; b ) increasing service avaiaibility; and: c ) balancing the load.

Source: https://serverfault.com/questions/368512/can-i-have-multiple-dhcp-servers-on-one-network

Microsoft also released a Technet article about this practice in Windows Server environment.

Have a good day!

Edited by mCmanu

maegibbons

Hi Paul,

If you can explain more on that either here or in private I would be more than happy to improve my knowledge.

From what I've read, it's a good practice to seperate the load of DHCP accross multiple servers into different scopes for: a ) getting devices an "offer" quicker; b ) increasing service avaiaibility; and: c ) balancing the load.

Source: https://serverfault.com/questions/368512/can-i-have-multiple-dhcp-servers-on-one-network

Microsoft also released a Technet article about this practice in Windows Server environment.

Have a good day!

How big is your local layer 2 network?

I am with Paul on this, having secondary and redundant DHCP servers is an unnecesary complication and usually causes more problems than its worth even on large networks.

The only time we tend to do it is over bridged WAN links where we block dhcp traffic over the link and use a different sub range (not subnet) on either side of the link. But this is a rare scenario as we normally route.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

pwhodges

It can be done, but the potential for problems outweighs any benefit in most situations.  Both your instances are running on the same hardware, so the redundancy gives you no protection against hardware failure.  In case of software failure, I suppose you have backup sufficient for you to restore a failed server quickly - and in any case you can have a duplicate DHCP server on the other machine, but only start it in case of failure of the main one.

In business environments before my retirement I always ran with a single DHCP server (over more than 20 years), and never had cause to question this decision.

Paul

• Like 1