Can't find Emby in Samsung App store

tadbitnerdy

tadbitnerdy

Hi everyone,

I hope I didn't just mess up here (guess I can return the tv if needed).  I bought a new 2017 samsung smart tv (40MU6300) today.  From what I read:

- All new samsung smart TV's run Tizen

- Emby for Tizen in the US is available on the samsung app store

Now however, I believe I messed up, because I cannot find the app in the app store.  Are there new samsung smart TVs that don't run Tizen?  If not, and the app should be there, how do I get to it?

Thanks,

-Tad

FrostByte

Are you in the US?  By your local time I'm guessing maybe Europe.  I believe you're actually the first with a 2017 to report anything

According to Samsung's table you're running Tizen, so you should be okay there.

http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/tv-model-lineup

I'm guessing either you're not in the US, or if you are then Luke may have to tell Samsung to allow 2017s to download.  

• Like 1

tadbitnerdy

Hi FrostByte!  I'm in the US.  Ah, so each model year needs to be allowed access to the app?  Sorry, not sure how the ecosystem works.

Thanks!

-Tad

FrostByte

Luke and SamES of course would know better than I if that's indeed the case, but it seems like what I've read in here that they keep having to ask Samsung to test other models to make it available.  I believe this is the first time they will be supporting newer models since the app came out and I was hoping it would be automatic since I'm look at a third Samsung TV myself, but it doesn't appear so :(

• Like 1

FrostByte

I did notice according to the chart Samsung recommends using the newer Tizen SDK when writing apps for your TV

Edited by FrostByte

tadbitnerdy

Thanks for the help!  

If the newer SDK is 'recommended', then I would think you could still run the app using the older SDK on the newer software/hardware.

Anyways, guess I'll by streaming Emby to the TV for now.

Thanks,

-Tad

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
TolkienBard

I just hooked up my 43MU6300 and am experiencing the same issue, Emby does not show up when I go to search for it in the app section. Annoyingly, Plex does (one of the first listed apps). However, even doing a manual search reports no apps for Emby.

I was soooo stoked for this too. 

:(

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you all figure this out.

TolkienBard

@@Luke I had to doubl check, It is a 2017 model.

Edited by TolkienBard

Ok we're still in process of getting the app certified for 2017 models, thanks.

• Like 1

TolkienBard

No worries. I didn't realize each model was getting its own certificate, I just saw 2014-present and then 2017 models listed in the chart. I'll keep my knickers on and wait for you all to do your thing.

• 3 weeks later...
tadbitnerdy

Hi Luke, any updates on the 2017 Samsung model? I've seen two new version of the software come up, but no news on the 2017 TVs.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
TolkienBard

Yeah, Samsung just dropped a bunch of new apps in the "store" a few days ago. I was really hoping Emby would be part of the new crop. It seems Samsung is still dragging its feet though. But hey, they make sure to have Plex pre-installed on the televisions. How nice of them. :huh:

When Plex first came out, I gave it a look-see to compare it to what is now Emby. I am so glad I never decided to make the switch. Now I just get annoyed seeing Plex everywhere. Not only does it cost a great deal more, but it is quickly becoming an inferior product in every way.

Thanks for the feedback. Our 2017 release is currently in testing and we are able to verify they are actively testing it so we can at least say for sure that they're working on it. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. Thanks.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...