Sudden issues with some x265 content

RedBaron164

RedBaron164

All of a sudden my FireTV app hasn't been able to play some content. Not sure where to start so I figured I'd start with the server logs. I didn't see anything outstanding so I'm hoping someone else will. Server attempts to transcode files multiple times and fails. When played directly they are all fine.

I updated to the latest 3.2.13 as well as tried disabling hardware transcoding and so far no difference.

server-63628329600.txt

ffmpeg-remux-a20e0dd8-746c-4d9b-93bc-10bcff277f78.txt

ffmpeg-remux-c86ef3da-d6f1-49e9-9482-b570d0d0fbda.txt

ffmpeg-remux-3f488978-d54b-465c-9770-4646ab0caa6f.txt

Edited by RedBaron164

RedBaron164

Can you please follow the instructions for sending a log from the app here?  Thanks.

I tried to play an episode of MST3K titled She Creature while logged in as my primary account Vincent. I uploaded logs from the FireTV app at 1:20am EST April 23rd.

Thanks.  The player just cannot deal with that item.  The app should be forcing a transcode to x264 eventually, but that isn't happening.  It just keeps trying to stream copy the hevc stream.  I'll have to look at that.

This is just a 480p video though.  Do you know why it is encoded as x265?

RedBaron164

I have all 10 seasons of MST3K coded in x265 to save disk space. The entire series was 220gb and I cut it down to 130gb by converting it. They all play fine when they can play directly without transcoding. For example from the Windows client or the FireTV Box that has hardware x265 support. I also have other x265 files that are not working, such as the first few episodes of Archer Season 8 which are 1080p. If you want I can try to play those later and upload the logs from the client.

Luke - is there something that has changed in how the server (or ffmpeg) handles hevc that would be affecting this?

No, but please update to the latest version of Emby Server, then provide a new set of logs if the issue persists. Thanks !

RedBaron164

No, but please update to the latest version of Emby Server, then provide a new set of logs if the issue persists. Thanks !

I'm currently on 3.2.13.0, I updated the server before posting the initial set of logs.

RedBaron164

I could have sworn I copied logs from after the update. Oh well, here are logs from last night.

server-63628502400.txt

ffmpeg-remux-dd87161d-9157-45f1-9347-ba4212a9ebbe.txt

ffmpeg-remux-0f02dafb-d9d7-4fa6-9eb9-1cc952b1d151.txt

ffmpeg-remux-f0545647-f114-4eab-af28-a4e6d4a8ebba.txt

I checked to see if the Web App would fail but it works fine. it transcodes the episodes I tested the other day without issue. When I get home I can fire up the FireTV Stick and generate additional logs if needed.

Edited by RedBaron164

I think the difference is the web app is transcoding them to h264 and the TV app is delivering the straight hevc stream.

RedBaron164

Yeah, it only appears to be an issue on the FireTV Stick, the FireTV Box plays them all fine (but the box has x265 hardware support so it should work). Even with the stick, it's only some x265 content that doesn't work. I was able to play other x265 content without issue. However I'm not sure if the x265 content that does work is being transcoded or played straight though.

I will have to test tonight if the x265 content that does work on the stick is being transcoded or not.

Okay.  I think it is hevc 10-bit that is exhibiting the problem because the stick cannot handle that.  We're looking at a way to handle it properly.  Thanks.

RedBaron164

I was wondering if it had something to do with the bit level. I know some items I encoded at 8bit worked fine. I will test some other x265 content tonight and see what happens.

*Edit: I tested a good amount of x265 content tonight and it does appear that only 10bit x265 (Profile Main 10) content is effected. The x265 content that I tested that had "Profile: Main" worked without issue.

Edited by RedBaron164