Seeking advice for server/client replacement (NUC?)

themimperials

themimperials

Hello there everyone,

I would like to ask your advice to how to rebuild my current server/client setup, to get rid of the problems I currently face. 

Basically my current setup is:

Server: Synology DS216play

Clients: NVIDIA Shield(SPMC/KODI with Emby), iPhones/iPads(Emby app - paid) > Chromecasting to TV and an Android Television

Other client not currently in use: MacBook Pro, Raspberry Pi 3 and getting an Amazon Fire TV Stick 2 soon

Issues:

-A lot of content won't play from iPhone/iPads. I just get the spinning circle, and it completely freezes up my Synology for maybe an hour or so. For example random 4K videos. By completely freezing the Synology, I mean to the point where I cannot even access DSM to force a reboot, I have to wait out the storm, which usually takes about an hour, even though I killed the app trying to stream it. On my NVIDIA Shield, everything direct plays, and I haven't really seen any issues at all on the Shield. 

-My Synology seems hard pushed - always running at like 80-90% memory usage.

-It is very time consuming and annoying to mess around with stuff on the Synology. Basically I cannot do much before I get some kind of permission problem and have to repair/reboot repeatedly to get it running.

-I feel limited by having "locked" systems as the Synology and NVIDIA Shield. Unrelated to Emby, I feel like there are some features that I am missing on my Synology. An example could be some of my content that I am missing subtitles for. I have tried using Emby for retrieving subtitles, but I almost always get bad results. Alternatively I have tried stuff like subliminal and using KODI subtitle retrievers, but I feel like I spend way too much time finding something usable. I believe there are more alternatives for this if I get a more open system like Windows/Mac/Linux.

-Maybe I can skip having a client on my main setup, and use a device as both server and client to simplify the setup?

My own research till now, concludes that I could probably sell out the NVIDIA Shield and Synology if I grab an Intel NUC? I am then thinking about using some kind of USB 3.0 harddrive bay to use the drives from my Synology, and then just hook the NUC up to my primary client setup(to my AVR). So then the NUC would be my NAS, server and primary client. This seems like it would give me a plenty power, freedom to do a lot of stuff and probably even lower my power consumption in comparison to my current setup?

I need to be able to play all kinds of content; HDR, Atmos, DTS:X off the NUC, and I haven't really been able to find a clear answer whether that's possible. I will be using KODI with Emby for KODI.

Can someone help me figure out whether the NUC is the way to go? Or whether I should build something myself, or maybe be better off by upgrading the Synology to a 916+ or a QNAP?

Edited by themimperials

speedingcheetah

Hello there everyone,

I would like to ask your advice to how to rebuild my current server/client setup, to get rid of the problems I currently face. 

Basically my current setup is:

Server: Synology DS216play

Clients: NVIDIA Shield(SPMC/KODI with Emby), iPhones/iPads(Emby app - paid) > Chromecasting to TV and an Android Television

Other client not currently in use: MacBook Pro, Raspberry Pi 3 and getting an Amazon Fire TV Stick 2 soon

Issues:

-A lot of content won't play from iPhone/iPads. I just get the spinning circle, and it completely freezes up my Synology for maybe an hour or so. For example random 4K videos. By completely freezing the Synology, I mean to the point where I cannot even access DSM to force a reboot, I have to wait out the storm, which usually takes about an hour, even though I killed the app trying to stream it. On my NVIDIA Shield, everything direct plays, and I haven't really seen any issues at all on the Shield. 

-My Synology seems hard pushed - always running at like 80-90% memory usage.

-It is very time consuming and annoying to mess around with stuff on the Synology. Basically I cannot do much before I get some kind of permission problem and have to repair/reboot repeatedly to get it running.

-I feel limited by having "locked" systems as the Synology and NVIDIA Shield. Unrelated to Emby, I feel like there are some features that I am missing on my Synology. An example could be some of my content that I am missing subtitles for. I have tried using Emby for retrieving subtitles, but I almost always get bad results. Alternatively I have tried stuff like subliminal and using KODI subtitle retrievers, but I feel like I spend way too much time finding something usable. I believe there are more alternatives for this if I get a more open system like Windows/Mac/Linux.

-Maybe I can skip having a client on my main setup, and use a device as both server and client to simplify the setup?

My own research till now, concludes that I could probably sell out the NVIDIA Shield and Synology if I grab an Intel NUC? I am then thinking about using some kind of USB 3.0 harddrive bay to use the drives from my Synology, and then just hook the NUC up to my primary client setup(to my AVR). So then the NUC would be my NAS, server and primary client. This seems like it would give me a plenty power, freedom to do a lot of stuff and probably even lower my power consumption in comparison to my current setup?

I need to be able to play all kinds of content; HDR, Atmos, DTS:X off the NUC, and I haven't really been able to find a clear answer whether that's possible. I will be using KODI with Emby for KODI.

Can someone help me figure out whether the NUC is the way to go? Or whether I should build something myself, or maybe be better off by upgrading the Synology to a 916+ or a QNAP?

I use a slightly older Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH as my Emby server.  its an lower power i5 dual core.  It can handle 1080p vid and other trans-coding ok. But it does nearly max out the cpu. I only use it myself. If you have multiple users, would recommend a stronger hardware. 

Personally, I would recommenced a quad core cpu 3ghz or higher unit if you want to have multiple streams and power to handle more advanced content. There is only one model of the Intel NUC that has a Quad core i7 cpu though. And it only holds 2 m.2 ssds though. 

Edited by speedingcheetah

themimperials

I use a slightly older Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH as my Emby server.  its an lower power i5 dual core.  It can handle 1080p vid and other trans-coding ok. But it does nearly max out the cpu. I only use it myself. If you have multiple users, would recommend a stronger hardware. 

Personally, I would recommenced a quad core cpu 3ghz or higher unit if you want to have multiple streams and power to handle more advanced content. There is only one model of the Intel NUC that has a Quad core i7 cpu though. And it only holds 2 m.2 ssds though. 

Ok, are you running Windows on the NUC? And how well does it run as a client? I mean, if I run KODI on it, with Emby for KODI - does it then play everything? Or will I have a lot of issues with codecs, and passing through audio etc?

speedingcheetah

Ok, are you running Windows on the NUC? And how well does it run as a client? I mean, if I run KODI on it, with Emby for KODI - does it then play everything? Or will I have a lot of issues with codecs, and passing through audio etc?

O sorry.. forgot that bit. Its running WIndows 10. I use it for other  minor things too that require the Windows os.   I haven't used other media servers in years. I never could get them to work right out of the box with my HDHomeRun Prime.  Would never have even needed Emby if it weren't for Windows Media Center being killed off, which to me still was the smoothest software there was.

themimperials

O sorry.. forgot that bit. Its running WIndows 10. I use it for other  minor things too that require the Windows os.   I haven't used other media servers in years. I never could get them to work right out of the box with my HDHomeRun Prime.  Would never have even needed Emby if it weren't for Windows Media Center being killed off, which to me still was the smoothest software there was.

Ok thank you :)

Are you also using the NUC as a client at the same time, or just a server?

speedingcheetah

Ok thank you :)

Are you also using the NUC as a client at the same time, or just a server?

No, not viewing media on that system. Just Emby server (doesn't even have a monitor connected, I just remote into it) But i use it for my torrent client, network file share, print server, and ip camera DVR (when needed).

Edited by speedingcheetah

themimperials

Alright. I would really like to know how the NUC also performs as a client. Especially in the scenario that I am thinking about where I want the NUC to act as both Emby server and client. Along with all the other smaller things similar to what you mention.

If you get the chance, can you try and run KODI with Emby for KODI on the NUC and see how it goes? :-) I'd really appreciate the feedback.

• 3 weeks later...
speedingcheetah

Alright. I would really like to know how the NUC also performs as a client. Especially in the scenario that I am thinking about where I want the NUC to act as both Emby server and client. Along with all the other smaller things similar to what you mention.

If you get the chance, can you try and run KODI with Emby for KODI on the NUC and see how it goes? :-) I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Sorry....i forgot about this thread..

Anyway....i don't like Kodi..never could get it to work with my Prime tuner or work they way i wanted back when i moved off of WMC (3+yrs ago). Kodi forums were of no usefulness to me then. Emby sever worked out of the box and support and updates have been ridiculously good. 

As far as using the same system as a client, direct play will be fine, but transcoding is done on that system when needed and this maxes out cpu...so if u also want to do other things on it at the some time...has to be a decent cpu...quad core at least, imo. Also depends on the content played...like 1080p vs 4k etc.

CharleyVarrick

I do use a NUC7i3BNH as my main htpc client and I LOVE IT. While its only an i3, its a seventh gen. i3 (they only came out a few months ago).

BNH means its the slightly taller model that can take both regular 2.5" ssd and m.2 ssd .

For me it is a flawless performer.

To use it as a server and client, you'd need to go NUC7i7xxx I guess.

Had a NAS once only, that was many years ago, but it was not up to the job (very poor read/write).

EDIT: Forgot to mention my HTPC is running Kodi, Emby is running on a separate desktop server

Edited by jlr19

AdrianW

I'm using a 4th gen i5 NUC (D54250WYK) as my server and Emby Theatre client - it sits under my TV. 

It works fine - but I don't transcode anything, it's basically my only client.

clarkss12

I have been running my Vorke V2 (VORKE V2 Ultra Compact PC Intel Skylake I7-6500U Ubuntu16.04 8G DDR3L 128G Samsung SSD 802.11AC WIFI Gigabit LAN HDMI USB 3.1 Type C) for a couple of months now.  I use it as both a serve and client.  It does transcode one stream on the fly, possibly 2.

Here is my review of it, Emby part starts at the 7 minute mark.  The optimum is to have a client that will play all codecs, so transcoding is not necessary. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJtX5kdszk0

Edited by clarkss12