Question about Emby Live TV and possiblities, OTA, cable and IPTV?

mwkurt

mwkurt

Hello,

I have searched the forum but was unable to find exactly what I would like to know.

I have the free version of Emby Server running on a Windows 7 PC that I use as my media server.  I would like to know if it is possible to combine OTA antenna input, basic cable input and IPTV channels using EMBY TV and/or any of the TV Plugins? If this is possible, could it serve 3 android devices television channels concurrently running Kodi and the Emby plugin? For the OTA and basic cable, would Hauppauge USB tuners be sufficient to feed the channels to Emby? I have read the Live TV guide in the Wiki, and I find it rather sparse as far as information goes. Are there any guides showing how one could accomplish this. Anyway....I would gladly pay for the Premiere edition of Emby if this is possible. Thanks!

Mark

Edited by mwkurt

Scott D

Mark,

I hope this helps, or at least adds a little to the conversation.

The Hauppauge tuners work very well, but do require the installation of the NextPVR addon.  I currently have a 955Q and a WinTV-dual attached to my server.  I am able to stream a total of three different channels to three devices at any one time.  Streaming the same channel to multiple devices requires a tuner per stream.

I am only using OTA signals at this time, so cannot comment on the basic cable connection.  From what has happened in my local market, the local cable company has gone to all digital for cable, so plugging directly into a cable outlet is not an option anymore.  A mini-box is required to get basic here.  This creates problems with channel selection as it has to go through the mini-box.  Might want to check in your area.  If it has not happened yet, it will soon.

The Hauppauge tuners will suck up quite a bit of processor power if you get all three going at the same time.  So, a bit of testing will be necessary once you get things up and running.  My suggestion would be to start with one (either a single or dual tuner) and see how hard it drives your server.

As far as purchasing Emby, don't hesitate.  The community is great in assisting with your set-up and troubleshooting.  The developers are constantly working to improve the product.  And IMO, the cost is minimal for what you will receive.

If I can be of assistance (I'm just a user, but willing to help) don't hesitate to ask. 

Scott

mwkurt

Thank you Scott...will do. I have an HDHomerun Prime on the way for the 3 tuner capability. I am sure that I will be back.

Thanks again!

Mark

mwkurt

Hi, using Emby Server without any plugins you can combine Live TV via HD Homerun with IPTV.  To learn more, check out our wiki on Live TV:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Live%20TV

Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your response. As I said in the OP, I found the Live TV Wiki to be a bit lacking specifics, but if you are willing to answer a question, I have one. If I have a paid IPTV service that only supports one device, could that device be my Emby server and in turn the Emby server would make the channels available to many devices? Or am I wrong in that thinking? Does a once device limit mean that Emby can not make those channels available to the clients?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your response. As I said in the OP, I found the Live TV Wiki to be a bit lacking specifics, but if you are willing to answer a question, I have one. If I have a paid IPTV service that only supports one device, could that device be my Emby server and in turn the Emby server would make the channels available to many devices? Or am I wrong in that thinking? Does a once device limit mean that Emby can not make those channels available to the clients?

Thanks,

Mark

Maybe but only if the two devices were watching the exact same content.

maegibbons

Maybe but only if the two devices were watching the exact same content.

For IPTV, The Only way to do that at the moment would be to start a recording and then watch the "Active Recording" on multiple devices.  Currently, If you watch the same channel at the same time it opens two or more seperate streams. It would be very good, as a previously asked request, if we can share a single incoming IPTV stream per channel to multiple devices/recording.  Similar to the HDHR sharing.

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

To the OP

I have HDHR Connect for OTA and IPTV for premium channels and generally the combination works well through emby.

Generally HDHR for OTA is faultless, apart from some stream sharing issues a couple of releases back fully fixed again now.

It is also good for IPTV although work still needs to go in to error recovery on stream loss.  Currently the streamcopy process for recording DOES NOT detect a dropped stream and try to reconnect so you can end up with short recordings occasionally if there are intermittent internet issues.

Krs

Mark