4k video on Firetv Gen 2

motleyc

motleyc

No matter what 4k video I try to play via the emby app on my FireTV box it will not play in 2160p. My firetv box and my NAS and Server are all connected on a gigabit switch. I have tried to set emby to either auto or 100Mbs streaming.

When I try to play it the file it direct streams at 1080p. Any ideas?

JeremyFr79

Outside of the Shield TV, most "4k" android based devices will only play 4k from "commercial" sources like Netflix/Amazon Prime.  Outside of those they're typically limited to 1080p.

Edited by JeremyFr79

motleyc

@@ebr So even though it supports H.265 and is hooked up to a gigabit switch it's not going to work? As you mentioned about Netflix it does work with that. Has anyone gotten the FireTv to play 4k video files through Emby?

• 2 months later...
Dizzy49

I have a decent HTPC running Kodi and it wouldn't play my 4K video either.  My Fire Stick just laughed at me when I tried.

JeremyFr79

I have a decent HTPC running Kodi and it wouldn't play my 4K video either.  My Fire Stick just laughed at me when I tried.

Unless you have a 7th gen Intel I series processor or a fairly beefy video card 4K will just bring a system to it's knees.  My HTPC has a new 7th gen I3 in it and it chews through 4K like a fat kid does cake.

Dizzy49

My HTPC is a 5th gen i3.  Not quite enough.  Kind of sad, I guess I'll need to transcode those.