app suggestions

stevie.

stevie.

I appreciate making the app for Samsung TV, but it really could use a bit more work. I am trying to give emby a chance as I think it does things a bit better than Plex which is what I currently use, despite having provide my own live TV guide data with emby.. the Plex app for my Samsung TV cannot play 4K movies smoothly like emby.. i am actually shocked that this TV (Tizen) with emby can play any 4K movie i throw at it without skipping a beat.. and by 4K i'm talking about streaming 60GB 10-bit HEVC movies over my network.. the plex app for some reason can't do this and they are slow as sh*t to update it (development is so slow) so you guys are definitely ahead in this area form my short 1-2 weeks testing emby.

just some of my suggestions:

option to change grid sizes of elements. on a 60" 4K res the channel grid is huge, a lot of wasted space and with 500+ channels it means scrolling galore.

on the channel grid, how about a bar showing the air time of what is playing? and option to change grid size? see attachment.

the guide menu - wish it were a bit more like Kodi guide. it's more compact = more stuff to view at once. also has a timeline that appears showing the progress elapsed/time left (opaque blue background). it is faster and smoother even with lots of channels, the emby guide doesn't feel fluid and feels clunky to use.

clicking a channel is a ghost town. doesn't show any information of what is being aired or what is upcoming, just a icon, a heart and a play button.

maybe an option on what to do when you click a channel on the grid.. tune to it as soon as you click it, or more information page (default) and display what is going to be airing on that channel or set it to record,etc..

channel changing.. how exactly do i change the channel? typing a channel on the remote does nothing. channel up or down doesn't either. in my opinion it should feel more like a set-top box where you can tune to specific channel. you also have to leave the channel to go view the guide. it feels more like a movie player as i basically have to stop what I'm watching, go back and start over to change the channel.

the guide also truncates the channel number so aside from looking at the icon in the guide over channel 1000 just shows just two numbers, with or without the icon (i thought the icon was blocking the rest of the channel number, but this isn't the case).

would be nice for time shifting, but i'd settle for at least being able to record on-demand. there is a record button while viewing a channel, it says recording scheduled but nothing records.

i suppose i could list a few more things, but i don't want to sound like i am nit-picking.. just think it could use some improvements as Kodi does Live TV so well, Plex? they're too busy trying to get Plex on every device, toaster oven, microwave and calculator out there rather than make ONE finished app. no Live TV on any of their apps. i need to start using just one App to consolidate things.. rather than having kodi for TV, emby for movies, plex for dvr (their guide data is really good for dvr/recordings) but that's about all they have.

cheers.

post-200213-0-05863900-1491807959_thumb.jpg

post-200213-0-11975300-1491807969_thumb.jpg

post-200213-0-67041000-1491809038_thumb.jpg

post-200213-0-54998500-1491809095_thumb.jpg

post-200213-0-16623300-1491810633_thumb.jpg

Edited by stevie.
  • Like 1

hi @@stevie. thanks for the feedback. it is all in good time. with each new release the app continues to improve it's live tv features and it's just a matter of time until all of those things are added. thanks !

• Like 1

zigzagtshirt

"Channel-changing" and now playing/upcoming info after clicking on channel (prior to playback) would be incredible.

SamES

For reference, I think Smarthub apps are limited to max resolution of 1920x1080, they can't be displayed in 4K.  Only video during playback can.  You can make the Item images smaller to fit more on a large screen, but it will still only be 1080 res so the quality will suffer

• Like 1

Noel-M

Luke and team - congrats on tizen 1.0.23.  This is starting to have a really nice feel to it.

I also have some feedback that I can add to the mix.

Suggestion:  I have a lot of items in 'recorded tv' - too many to access via recorded date cursoring down one row at a time.  Would it be possible to add access via 'Recording Groups' as done in web and ipad apps ??  Maybe a 'page down' key on the remote ??  Maybe re-ordering facility (date or alpha) ??

Problem:  If I select  'Live Tv/Series' and then attempt to drill down on an item - emby hangs (with modern egg timer).  Web and ipad apps allow me to see and change details.   Is there logging I can collect ??  (PS:  I am using Samsung series K outside the USA)

stevie.

one thing (or more ;)) I want to also add about the guide  is that as you scroll, it jumps to programs that started hours ago.

so for example if I am scrolling on 10pm position and the next item started at 8-9pm the entire time line of the guide shift to that time.. then if you scroll you will be at that much earlier time line, so I have to shift back to where I was. the way most other guides are is the time slot remain put always as you scroll and just highlights the show. only time it should shift timeslot is when you go left or right.

also, I think the guide starts off at weird position. If it's 1:45pm I still see the 12-1 time slot, it should be gone and start off and only show 1:30pm. at least it makes more sense, in my opinion, and how most guides work (and kodi).

another thing is if I am at 11:00-11:30pm half way down the guide and I want to see what's on after 12am, I have to scroll all the way back up to the top switch the day and scroll all the way back down. can it switch days automatically after you pass to midnight?

when scrolling, if you keep clicking up or down multiple times and then stop the guide keeps scrolling, I guess the problem is clicking faster than the guide scrolling's, and if you click too fast, forge it, it'll be scrolling until I fall asleep ;). this is not huge deal just seems like an odd behavior. it should stop scrolling once you stop pushing, and maybe if you hold the button it will keep scrolling.

thanks. I understand the app is fairly young.

Edited by stevie.

one thing I want to also add about the guide  is that as you scroll, it jumps to programs that started hours ago.

so for example if I am scrolling on 10pm position and the next item started at 8-9pm the entire time line of the guide shift to that time.. then if you scroll you will be at that much earlier time line, so I have to shift back to where I was. the way most other guides are is the time slot remain put always as you scroll and just highlights the show. only time it should shift timeslot is when you go left or right.

also, I think the guide starts off at weird position. If it's 1:45pm I still see the 12-1 time slot, it should be gone and start off and only show 1:30pm. at least it makes more sense, in my opinion, and how most guides work (and kodi).

another thing is if I am at 11:00-11:30pm half way down the guide and I want to see what's on after 12am, I have to scroll all the way back up to the top switch the day and scroll all the way back down. can it switch days automatically after you pass to midnight.

when scrolling, if you keep clicking up or down multiple times and then stop the guide keeps scrolling. not huge deal just seems like an odd behavior. it should stop scrolling once you stop pushing, and maybe if you hold the button it will keep scrolling.

thanks. I understand the app is fairly young.

Thanks for the feedback !

Luke and team - congrats on tizen 1.0.23.  This is starting to have a really nice feel to it.

I also have some feedback that I can add to the mix.

Suggestion:  I have a lot of items in 'recorded tv' - too many to access via recorded date cursoring down one row at a time.  Would it be possible to add access via 'Recording Groups' as done in web and ipad apps ??  Maybe a 'page down' key on the remote ??  Maybe re-ordering facility (date or alpha) ??

Problem:  If I select  'Live Tv/Series' and then attempt to drill down on an item - emby hangs (with modern egg timer).  Web and ipad apps allow me to see and change details.   Is there logging I can collect ??  (PS:  I am using Samsung series K outside the USA)

@@Noel-M thanks for the feedback. Yes we still need to add recording groups, and i will look into the hang on series. Thanks !

• 2 months later...
bqueck21

Any new releases for Tizen coming soon?  I second Newbie's feedback on the guide jumping around.  As you browse straight down, you end up looking at guide listings from hours ago (unless you arrow forward as well as down).  The Emby guide on Roku looks great.