Live TV question

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

So I found Emby and got it installed onto a desktop computer running Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.

I am interested in setting up HDHR connect or extend for OTA DVR and live TV as well.

I like Emby, since it will do music and video all in one as a home media server.

My concern is with the transcoding, and what kind of computer spec is needed for it. I know if I buy the extend, it will do the transcoding , but it costs about double the connect.

I want to stream TV to Fire TV, PS3 and Apple TV devices.

If someone could answer this or point me towards the correct documentation, that would be appreciated.

Edit: almost forgot, all my streaming devices are hard wired through CAT5e/6 and gigabit switches into an Asus RT-AC87R, since I'm sure that affects some of this.

Edited by fyrfyter33

Hi @@fyrfyter33, welcome!

Yes, transcoding from mpeg2 on the fly can be costly, and yes the HDHR Extend can help offload that requirement from your server system to the tuner device. We can also avoid transcoding for devices that support mpeg2 natively, although none of the ones you mentioned support it.

I'll need @@ebr to comment on whether we have in-app decoding of mpeg2 for Fire TV.

Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

fyrfyter33

It does to certain extent.

I was reading the system requirements where it says 2014 and core2duo, and I was wondering if there is a more up to date system requirement?

The current computer it's on is an AMD Phenom II x4 945 with 8 GB DDR2 and a 1TB HDD.

I am trying to decide which is the best way to put money into this. Since I don't know about the specifics of the transcoding, does it take CPU or GPU power and it is more of one than the other? Is there a specific Passmark score the processor should be capable of in order to transcode 2 OTA HDTV streams at once?

I already plan on upgrading into a new motherboard and a 2TB WD Red NAS drive. That would push me into DDR3 RAM. I'm just trying to decide if buying a new FX-? Processor is a better idea and going with the HDHR connect, or keep the processor I have and get the HDHR Extend and go that route.

I know these questions are fairly technical in nature, and I don't need an immediate answer, if there are other members who can chime in with info.

Thanks for the welcome. I decided I like Emby more than a competing app. Even with my limited Linux knowledge, it was easy to get installed and configured as well as ffmpeg. I am happy to know Ubuntu is dumping Unity for Gnome, since I like Gnome better.

fyrfyter33

I've decided to get the HDHR Extend and I'll probably end up with a new processor anyways, since there is a CPU/Motherboard deal at MicroCenter.

lifespeed

I've decided to get the HDHR Extend and I'll probably end up with a new processor anyways, since there is a CPU/Motherboard deal at MicroCenter.

I may be a little late here, but I would recommend the Connect.  As long as you plan to get a decent computer the transcoding should not be an issue.  And you can have it transcode as it records so the resulting recorded TV file is ready for streaming as-is.

The HDHR Extend consumes quite a bit more power, is larger, gets hot and costs more.  The target market for the Extend is really for non-tech people who don't have a media server, with weak wifi.  With an Extend they can stream over their limited wifi to their iPad using an app, no media server involved.  I don't think this describes your setup.

fyrfyter33

I may be a little late here, but I would recommend the Connect. As long as you plan to get a decent computer the transcoding should not be an issue. And you can have it transcode as it records so the resulting recorded TV file is ready for streaming as-is.

The HDHR Extend consumes quite a bit more power, is larger, gets hot and costs more. The target market for the Extend is really for non-tech people who don't have a media server, with weak wifi. With an Extend they can stream over their limited wifi to their iPad using an app, no media server involved. I don't think this describes your setup.

I appreciate the response. In that case the Extend may end up being returned. I can build a decent computer for this and I believe I have the technical know how to make it all work.

Do you have any idea as to level processor or GPU it takes for the transcoding?

clarkss12

I agree with Lifespeed, get the connect.  I pre-ordered my Extend when they first announced them,  so I could stream to my tablet.  But turned off the transcoding function a long time ago.  My server is a low powered Windows 10 microPC, and my clients are low powered devices.

lifespeed

I appreciate the response. In that case the Extend may end up being returned. I can build a decent computer for this and I believe I have the technical know how to make it all work.

Do you have any idea as to level processor or GPU it takes for the transcoding?

That is kind of hard to say.  In my case I tend to usually go for the more powerful CPUs, an i7-6800K, 6 cores with hyperthreading.  This hits 40% briefly as it transcodes ahead, then settles down to 20% CPU.  You might not need that much.  A friend has an i5 4-core, no hyperthreading.  I can't recall the model, but it was a cheap processor.  His will transcode one show, but it pushes the CPU near 100%.  So I wouldn't do that either.  Probably 4 cores with hyperthreading (8 virtual cores) would be a reasonable minimum, presuming decent clock speed, RAM, and an SSD to cache the transcoded file.

I personally have not yet been able to get GPU acceleration of transcoding to work, although I know some have.  It may be best to buy enough CPU to do the job just in case you have difficulty with GPU processing.

Edited by lifespeed

fyrfyter33

Ok. Since I already have AMD, I'm going to stick with it. Considering the 8 Core processors are cheap, I am going with one of those. FX-8320e on an AM3+ Motherboard. I know you guys have all said Intel, but for the price right now, it's tough to beat. Microcenter is offering $30 off CPU/motherboard combos. I don't have a lot of excess funding to throw at this, since I am attempting to convince the wife, cord cutting is a good idea to come ahead in the long run.  (We ditched DirecTV, and have been using PS Vue, thus far)

I did do a CPU Benchmark Comparison, and here is how it all shakes out:

58ed9b356185a_Screenshot4_11_201711_11_3

The scores are close enough for me to be happy with. I am sure it will do just fine when it comes to transcoding. 

Based upon the responses you have given, I will return the Extend and buy the Connect. I appreciate the help from everyone, as I am just getting started with Emby and learning the ropes. Wasn't sure if it was better for the HDHR to do the transcoding, or let the server hardware do it. 

Edited by fyrfyter33

maegibbons

That is kind of hard to say.  In my case I tend to usually go for the more powerful CPUs, an i7-6800K, 6 cores with hyperthreading.  This hits 40% briefly as it transcodes ahead, then settles down to 20% CPU.  You might not need that much.  A friend has an i5 4-core, no hyperthreading.  I can't recall the model, but it was a cheap processor.  His will transcode one show, but it pushes the CPU near 100%.  So I wouldn't do that either.  Probably 4 cores with hyperthreading (8 virtual cores) would be a reasonable minimum, presuming decent clock speed, RAM, and an SSD to cache the transcoded file.

I personally have not yet been able to get GPU acceleration of transcoding to work, although I know some have.  It may be best to buy enough CPU to do the job just in case you have difficulty with GPU processing.

I agree with lifespeed - go with cpu horsepower particularly number of cores and higher clock speed

I agree that Hardware transcoding is not "plug and play" at the moment BUT

Quick Sync will get better so I would push you to go down the Intel rather than AMD route.

Krs

Mark

lifespeed

@@fyrfyter33, it looks like you are selecting an AMD processor that is slightly less powerful than a 4-core Intel without hyperthreading.  This may be marginal, although of course I can't claim to have personal experience with those exact processors.  Like I said, I have seen the performance of a friend's setup (I have asked him to provide the part number for an accurate compare and will post here) with 4-core no hyperthreading and I considered it marginal and likely to be overloaded by more than one transcoding process.

The WAF of a stuttering CPU will be low, and the cost of wholesale replacement is much higher than the incremental cost increase of a more-powerful CPU.  I also suggest you get Intel, and a model that supports hyperthreading.

Edit:  friend runs an i5-4460 @ 3.2GHz, which is far more powerful than your AMD candidate CPU and was barely adequate for single show transcoding.  I don't think buying the cheapest CPU available is going to work out well.

Edited by lifespeed

fyrfyter33

Ok. It looks like I can get an i5-6600K and a motherboard for a little more than what I was planning on buying. I'll go that route. I guess it will also be beneficial that I can upgrade the processor later on.

With returning the Extend and buying a connect, it essentially becomes a wash on the cost. I am ok with that. 

Edited by fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

Good news! Built a Core i5-6600k server with 8GB of RAM and a WD Red NAS 2TB drive. I sent back the extend and bought the connect. It works flawlessly for live tv including the DVR functions. Apparently, recording one and transcoding another is nothing for the CPU.

I am a little lost in the app on the fire TV. Does it only give 6 hours of guide data? Is there any way to search for shows? Either it doesn't exist yet, or it's right in front of my face, but I can't see it.

fyrfyter33

Why do you feel it only gives 6 hours of guide data?

It shows on the screen guide data for the next 6 hours and that's it.

Do I have a setting wrong?

EDIT: I think my schedulesdirect trial expired. I think that explains that part.

Edited by fyrfyter33