FireTV stopped

arrbee99

arrbee99

Was watching a BR rip and the movie just stopped on the FireTV and it went back to the info screen for the movie (Play, Resume, etc). This on 1.3.34a via Direct Streaming. Might have done this on previous versions though.

Just thought I'd post it as I happened to notice it and can give logs.....apparently it stopped playing at 6.16pm.

58e5e068579db_EmbyFireTVstops.jpg

server-63627071284.txt

ffmpeg-remux-91d5d471-e0f4-48ea-a815-e5d685e1b960.txt

If this happens again, please submit a log from the app and provide the information below.  Thanks.

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

• 3 weeks later...
Dizzy49

I set up a server for my father over the weekend.  He has tried to play 4 difference movies, and they all stop at the same place, after 46min 52sec.  Unfortunately I have no access to the log or anything :(

Dizzy49

I was hoping to have some ideas on what to check so that when I go back on May 5th I can try to fix it.  Otherwise, I am going to set up a remote connection to his server so I can have access to logs and things.

Are you saying that different movies all stopped after the exact same amount of time?

Are you sure something like your storage server isn't going to sleep?

Dizzy49

Are you saying that different movies all stopped after the exact same amount of time?

Yes that is exactly the issue.  Multiple movies all stopping after the exact same time has elapsed.

Are you sure something like your storage server isn't going to sleep?

No, the server runs 24/7 and never sleeps.

We watched multiple TV shows back to back without issue, though none were as long as the place it stops for the movies.

Here is the server build:

CPU: Xeon 1276 v3

Mobo: Supermicro X10SLH

Ram: 32GB ECC Ram

PSU: Corsair TX650

HBA:

LSI 9210-8i  Latest IT Firmware

LSI 9211-8i  Latest IT Firmware

Drives:

Data:

2x 3TB WD Green

2x 4TB WD Green

1x 4TB Seagate

1x 4TB WD Blue

Landing: Samsung Spinpoint

Optical: Panasonic Slim BDR

It was my server for a year and a half.  Rock solid and capabie of multiple transcoded streams.

The device is a Amazon Fire Stick (new version) via Wifi.  Currently the only device in the house accessing the server.

Yes that is exactly the issue.  Multiple movies all stopping after the exact same time has elapsed.

That just really sounds like some sort of external factor shutting down the stream after a specific period.  Do you have any 3rd party screen savers or other networking apps on the device?

maegibbons

@@Dizzy49

You need to setup remote access - Possibly Teamviewer - so you can get the server logs.

They may give insight as to why the stream is stopping at that exact time.

krs

Mark

Dizzy49

That just really sounds like some sort of external factor shutting down the stream after a specific period.  Do you have any 3rd party screen savers or other networking apps on the device?

It's a stock Amazon Fire Stick with Emby.

You need to setup remote access - Possibly Teamviewer - so you can get the server logs.

They may give insight as to why the stream is stopping at that exact time.

krs

Mark

Totally agree.  I setup the server this past weekend while juggling competive baseball and competitve dance tournaments.  I have RDC set up, but I need to set up dynamic DNS so I can get to it easily.  We are going back for another tournament (no dance this time) on the 5th, so I'll get it set up then.

Dizzy49

This is the email I just got my from dad:

I’ve played a dozen movies so far.  Here are a few observations:

·       They don’t all stop, or all stop at the same place.  But, a couple have just stopped and gone black.  When you restart they will either pick up where they left off, stay frozen on the last screen, or still stay black.

·       The biggest thing I’ve noticed is a flutter, stutter, or hesitation.  I would guess that the movie was buffering, but you said the screen would freeze while the program was buffering, and there was no pixilation.

·       A related issue is garbled dialog.  It’s sort of like above, but you don’t notice a problem with the visual.

While you’re here, maybe you can explain the difference between Fire TV and Fire TV Stick…and how to default subtitles to “none”, if it can be done.

Could it be an encoding issue?  The server has MORE than enough horsepower to encode ONE stream, it SHOULD be able to handle several at once.  It is over his wifi, maybe it's a network issue?  The Fire Stick is probably 15' from the router with just one wall between them (standard 2x4 wall, with drywall only on one side).  However, I would assume that if it was a network issue and it couldn't keep up that it woud buffer, not just stop and/or go black.

arrbee99

Seems pleasantly inconsistent. I haven't seen anything stop since the first post I made, which doesn't help, though I don't watch movies an awful lot on the Fire TV and the rest of the gang here seem to go more for Netflix. They haven't mentioned anything about any Emby stuff stopping, though they'd probably just start it again and say nothing anyway.

Don't know what is being watched, but no patterns I suppose ? blurays stutter but dvds are fine, some particular audio or video format ? Some burned in subtitle thing ?

Our FTV is not a stick and is via ethernet from the main PC btw.

Sorry, this really doesn't help much.

maegibbons

So what bandwidth do you have between the 2 locations?

Krs

Mark

Sounds like network throughput to me.  Have him try lowering the bitrate.  He can do this while the item is playing.  When it first starts to show problems, select the next lowest bitrate setting and keep doing this until there are no problems.

Then go to the main settings and set the bitrate to the value he landed on with good playback.

• 1 month later...
Dizzy49

I agreed with you on the network throughput being a possibility (and still think that is an issue for him which I will resolve next weekend), however...

I picked up a couple Fire Sticks for me to play with.  I was watching a video for less than 5 minutes before it froze, then about 10 seconds later it went to a grey screen.

I was unable to get Emby to launch again.  I had to power cycle the Fire Stick before Emby would run again.

I had watched a nearly 3hr movie before this with no issues, however it was Direct Streaming.  I am watching something else now that is also Direct Streaming.

Here's the info for the movie that it died on:

<fileinfo>
    <streamdetails>
      <video>
        <codec>xvid</codec>
        <micodec>xvid</micodec>
        <bitrate>1468248</bitrate>
        <width>720</width>
        <height>304</height>
        <aspect>2.35:1</aspect>
        <aspectratio>2.35:1</aspectratio>
        <framerate>23.97604</framerate>