Switching from Plex to Emby

dion250

dion250

I really want to make the switch from Plex to Emby but I have some questions and concerns.  I run all my devices on Android TV devices.

The ability to change Subtitles color, size and outline doesn't seem to be an option.  Is this going to be added?

When fast forwarding it only skips like 30seconds or a 1minute ahead and you have to push the button everytime instead of being able to just hold it.  Is this a bug or working as intended?

And is there a way to disable the generated Chapters at the bottom?

Hi and welcome!

On your subtitles issue - there are three different ways that subs can possibly be shown in the Android TV app and we have varying degrees of control on their presentation so we are trying to match them up so that they look the same (and you can't tell there are three different sub engines).  For this reason, customization of the subs has not been implemented at this time.  We would like to in the future.

On the skipping - we have found that skipping in forward steps of 30 seconds and backward steps of 10 works best for most people and that pressing the button discreetly does as well because you can easily tell exactly how far you will jump.  For example, you want to skip past 90 seconds of commercials you hit the button three times.  It is possible we could implement some sort of repeat on hold in the future but I do think it would be much harder to control exactly how far you are skipping.

On chapters - there is no way at this time to disable the automatic chapter generation but you can control whether or not images are extracted for them in the server Library settings.

BAlGaInTl

Can't you actually use the chapters as a sort of fast forward?  Just a different way of thinking about it.

Swynol

if you move from plex to emby you wont be disappointed. plex might be the big name out there but in my opinion emby works better has better support from the core team and a very loyal community. Recently moved some of my device from Roku to Android TV. 

I cant seem to find much info on the Plex Android TV app only that it works on Nexus player. i've recently installed both the Emby android TV app and the plex mobile android app on a budget chinese Android box. The Emby app is leaps and bounds ahead of the plex one.

BAlGaInTl

if you move from plex to emby you wont be disappointed. plex might be the big name out there but in my opinion emby works better has better support from the core team and a very loyal community. Recently moved some of my device from Roku to Android TV. 

I cant seem to find much info on the Plex Android TV app only that it works on Nexus player. i've recently installed both the Emby android TV app and the plex mobile android app on a budget chinese Android box. The Emby app is leaps and bounds ahead of the plex one.

As someone who has recently made the switch from Plex to Emby, there are certainly some things that Plex does well.  Their custom ffmpeg seems to be a bit more optimized for lower power hardware.  Plex is dead simple to set up and get going.  There isn't a lot of customization available since it's closed source.  Emby is dead simple to do the initial setup, but because there is more customization, it's taken me longer to get it to where I really want it.  The bonus of course is that it's open source and much more customizable.

When it came down to it, I had decided to buy a lifetime sub for one product or the other.  Emby won out because of the active development, openness, and support provided here.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

As someone who has recently made the switch from Plex to Emby, there are certainly some things that Plex does well.  Their custom ffmpeg seems to be a bit more optimized for lower power hardware.  Plex is dead simple to set up and get going.  There isn't a lot of customization available since it's closed source.  Emby is dead simple to do the initial setup, but because there is more customization, it's taken me longer to get it to where I really want it.  The bonus of course is that it's open source and much more customizable.

When it came down to it, I had decided to buy a lifetime sub for one product or the other.  Emby won out because of the active development, openness, and support provided here.

I my thoughts are that the default ffmpeg settings of Plex are a little more conservative than Emby's. In the past when the "H264 encoding preset" setting was set to auto it almost always defaulted to "veryfast". I would always suggest that users having issues with transcoding manually change the setting from "auto" to "superfast" which is more in line with Plex's default settings. However I just had a look today, on the latest beta server, and "auto" now seems to be defaulting to "superfast" instead of "veryfast". Maybe a change was made recently. 

BAlGaInTl

I my thoughts are that the default ffmpeg settings of Plex are a little more conservative than Emby's. In the past when the "H264 encoding preset" setting was set to auto it almost always defaulted to "veryfast". I would always suggest that users having issues with transcoding manually change the setting from "auto" to "superfast" which is more in line with Plex's default settings. However I just had a look today, on the latest beta server, and "auto" now seems to be defaulting to "superfast" instead of "veryfast". Maybe a change was made recently. 

Agreed.  I found similar information when I was troubleshooting initially.

I finally settled on some defaults that seem to be working well for my hardware.

Jdiesel

I have been running both Plex and Emby side-by-side for over a year now. There are pro and cons to both but If I had to recommend which ecosystem to invest in it would be Emby. Emby is much more receptive to user feedback and is much much more transparent. Plex had a good run while it lasted but Emby is the future.

BAlGaInTl

I have been running both Plex and Emby side-by-side for over a year now. There are pro and cons to both but If I had to recommend which ecosystem to invest in it would be Emby. Emby is much more receptive to user feedback and is much much more transparent. Plex had a good run while it lasted but Emby is the future.

So you're saying I made the right choice?

[emoji1]

dion250

Hi and welcome!

On your subtitles issue - there are three different ways that subs can possibly be shown in the Android TV app and we have varying degrees of control on their presentation so we are trying to match them up so that they look the same (and you can't tell there are three different sub engines).  For this reason, customization of the subs has not been implemented at this time.  We would like to in the future.

On the skipping - we have found that skipping in forward steps of 30 seconds and backward steps of 10 works best for most people and that pressing the button discreetly does as well because you can easily tell exactly how far you will jump.  For example, you want to skip past 90 seconds of commercials you hit the button three times.  It is possible we could implement some sort of repeat on hold in the future but I do think it would be much harder to control exactly how far you are skipping.

On chapters - there is no way at this time to disable the automatic chapter generation but you can control whether or not images are extracted for them in the server Library settings.

Thanks for the big response :)

I really hope the subtitles can be changed in the future..  Cause they look pretty bad on my Nvidia Shield atm.

For the skipping I was thinking.  one press skips 30seconds like it is now.  and if you hold the button it just repeats the command till you get to where you want.  Plex does this.. and it works well..

As for the chapters.  I hope that can be added too.

I guess if I could stream emby into Kodi that would solve all this.  Is there a good Kodi addon for Emby or a way to move the Emby database into Kodi?

I guess if I could stream emby into Kodi that would solve all this.  Is there a good Kodi addon for Emby or a way to move the Emby database into Kodi?

Yes and there is an entire forum section for it. :)

• 2 months later...
sylvio2000

I am really excited there is so much reaction on my initial post :)

I just wanted to say that I am using emby for some weeks now.

But there are two main points I cannot use the emby client (on FireTV an Nvidia Shield)

1. The clients are not able to wol my server.

2. If I use the direction keys to jump inside the movie I cannot see where I am? There is no progressbar or timeline while skipping. Thats really irritating.

For now I am using MrMC (fork of Kodi) which has an emby client buid in.

CBers

2. If I use the direction keys to jump inside the movie I cannot see where I am? There is no progressbar or timeline while skipping. Thats really irritating.

Which version of the Android TV app are you using?

What version of the Emby server are you running?

sylvio2000

Client 1.4.17a

Server 3.2.19

I see I have a new version of the client. If I use the forward and backward keys I can see the progress :)

It would be even better if we could use the direction keys to navigate inside the movie (like with Kodi, Netflix and Amazon Video)

Edited by sylvio2000

It would be even better if we could use the direction keys to navigate inside the movie (like with Kodi, Netflix and Amazon Video)

Since the Fire TV has dedicated FF and Rew buttons, we use those.

sylvio2000

Okay I understand this, but would it be possible to use both? I mean the FF and REW buttons and if no OSD is on top, the direction keys?

And is there already a solution for wol?

MSattler

As you may have found the Plex app for the Nexus or Shield is leaps and bounds better than the standard Plex Android app.

The issue with the chinese Android boxes is that they do not run AndroidTV, and AndroidTV based apps are leaps and bounds better than the standard android apps.