Android TV Direct Play Audio Sync Issue (Recorded TV)

BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

I'm having an audio sync issue on Android TV when using direct play only.

First the stuff you are going to ask:

Server: 3.2.10.0 running on Debian/Docker

Client Device: Nvidia Shield TV

Client Version: 1.3.34g

Connection: Gigabit (wired)

Audio Setting: Direct

Using External Player: No (but I've tried both with the same results)

The issue seems to arise specifically with recorded tv (HDHomerun using Emby).  Since my signal is OTA, and isn't perfect, I will sometimes get stutters/artifacts.    Every time there is an artifact, the audio seems to get more and more out of sync.  I've tried multiple things, but the only things working so far is to force transcoding by lowering the quality, or setting audio to "downmix to stereo".  Then it seems to correct itself fine.  Downmixing is fine for local broadcast recordings, but I really don't want to have to go back in and change the setting all the time for other content.

I tried with Live TV, and the same signals work fine (direct play) even after artifacts.  Everything quickly syncs back up.

Thoughts?  It's driving me nuts...

Edited by BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

You are saying the same thing happens even if you use an external player?

Yes, I see the exact same effect using the internal player and VLC.  I didn't try VLC outside of Emby, but I can certainly try that later tonight and report back.

I've tested the same file with:

- Android TV using internal Emby player and audio set to direct play

- Android TV using VLC player and audio set to direct play

- Android TV using internal Emby player and audio set to downmix

- Android TV using VLC player and audio set to downmix

- Android TV using internal Emby player and audio set to direct play and forced trancode

- Android TV using VLC player and audio set to direct play and forced transcode

- Android TV chromecast from Android App on phone

- Web client player (transcode)

- Android App (direct play)

- Emby Theater on Windows 10 (direct play)

Only the first two produce the problem.  Everything else seemed to handle the noise just fine.

Just to confirm, by using VLC, you mean as an external player and using the actual VLC app launched from within Emby, correct?

Are these in .ts containers?  If so, I'm guessing it may be related to the container and you might try converting one of them to mkv to see if it makes a difference.

BAlGaInTl

Just to confirm, by using VLC, you mean as an external player and using the actual VLC app launched from within Emby, correct?

Are these in .ts containers?  If so, I'm guessing it may be related to the container and you might try converting one of them to mkv to see if it makes a difference.

Yes.  VLC launched from within Emby.  I have not tried VLC externally yet, but will try it tonight.

They are .ts containers.  I tried mkv briefly, but didn't want the server overhead.  In addition, when Emby was converting them on the fly, the same anomalies are not handled as gracefully.  It made them much less pleasant to watch.  I can't describe exactly what that was, I just remembered that I didn't like it.  :)  I may be able to go back and look to see if I still have one of those recordings to give a better description.

It just seems odd to me that only the Android TV client is experiencing the issue.

The Android TV app would be the only one trying to direct stream your item and preserve the audio.  Given the fact that the players don't consider .ts to be a natively seekable container due to the lack of index information like other containers have, it doesn't surprise me all that much that an interruption in the video stream might cause a sync issue with the audio when that audio is being passed through unaltered.  Once you start transcoding the audio, then any anomalies are accounted for.

Do you know if, when playing internally in the Android TV app, is the item playing Direct/I or Direct/V (turn on debug options)?

BAlGaInTl

The Android TV app would be the only one trying to direct stream your item and preserve the audio.  Given the fact that the players don't consider .ts to be a natively seekable container due to the lack of index information like other containers have, it doesn't surprise me all that much that an interruption in the video stream might cause a sync issue with the audio when that audio is being passed through unaltered.  Once you start transcoding the audio, then any anomalies are accounted for.

Do you know if, when playing internally in the Android TV app, is the item playing Direct/I or Direct/V (turn on debug options)?

I can test that later tonight too.  I just turn on debugging in the app and then use the app to send you guys a log?

I can test that later tonight too.  I just turn on debugging in the app and then use the app to send you guys a log?

Complete instructions are in this topic.  Thanks.

BAlGaInTl

Just sent a log ~ 18:34 EST

The file I was playing was "The Middle S08E18 The Par-tay.ts"

user: Scott

BAlGaInTl

I'm trying some recordings tonight with the mkv container, but keeping the original video/audio.

We'll see how that goes.