Can no longer play movies (mkv)

stixx2002
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Cheesegeezer

Hi - until a couple days ago I was able to play my ripped mkv files using MBC via an Xbox 360. I have attached a log file. Any ideas?

I am on MBC ver 3.0.127.02-9.1

The server is ver 3.0.5135.31685

A few questions.

Can you play mkv in WMP.

How is your Server/MBC set up are they on the same machine, NAS or external server?

I can see an error regarding ICP port (unable to read from ICP port) unfortunately my networking knowledge is very basic. 

Has Xbox released an update recently?

Thanks

stixx2002

A few questions.

Can you play mkv in WMP.

How is your Server/MBC set up are they on the same machine, NAS or external server?

I can see an error regarding ICP port (unable to read from ICP port) unfortunately my networking knowledge is very basic. 

Has Xbox released an update recently?

Thanks

Yes, I can play the files in WMP. My server and MBC are in fact installed on the same machine. None of the files I try to play are on a NAS or server. They are actually all on the same PC as Server/MBC, though they are on a different hard drive. Again, the strange thing is it just stopped working a day or two ago. I haven't changed anything in that time. Also, I can play other files via MBC that are located on the same hard drive that the problem files are located. To your last question, there have been no Xbox updates in the past couple of days.
Edited by stixx2002

• Solution

The 360 hates mkv files.  They have to have the exact right audio for them to work and cannot have subtitles.

Cheesegeezer

Yes, I can play the files in WMP. My server and MBC are in fact installed on the same machine. None of the files I try to play are on a NAS or server. They are actually all on the same PC as Server/MBC, though they are on a different hard drive. Again, the strange thing is it just stopped working a day or two ago. I haven't changed anything in that time. Also, I can play other files via MBC that are located on the same hard drive that the problem files are located. To your last question, there have been no Xbox updates in the past couple of days.

Thanks for the info.  Are these new movies you are trying to watch or existing ones that you have watched before on the Xbox? As Ebr stated it could be an encoding issue.  Do you encode the video files yourself?

I sure wish @@BAS was here.

The 360 hates mkv files.  They have to have the exact right audio for them to work and cannot have subtitles.

stixx2002

These are all files that I was able to play a couple days ago. That's why it is so strange. Literally nothing has changed from a configuration perspective unless MB3 updated behind the scenes.

It may not be a factor here but I notice in your log you are using drive letters instead of UNC paths.  Is everything (server, MBC, files, drives) local to the same machine?

stixx2002

Correct everything is local. Not sure if this will help, but the first thing I noticed was that anything classified as a "movie" would no longer launch the intros plug in (or the movie for that matter). So I deleted intros, but still couldn't get the movies that were playable before to play. So I uninstalled everything and started from scratch. Same issue.

stixx2002

Yes. All plays fine on the actual host machine. I apologize for repeating, but this again is only an issue beginning over the weekend. Nothing has changed with server or MBC that may be causing the issue?

The server is not involved.  From your log, WMC simply reports it cannot play the item.  We appear to be able to access it fine and it plays on the host machine fine so it is an issue with the 360.

I'm amazed you ever had reliable playback on the 360 with mkvs.  As I said before, it hates them - the codecs have to be exactly right.  What is the audio encoding in these files and do they contain subs?

So they do contain subs?

I'm not an expert on 360 playback but I'm pretty sure it cannot play MKVs with subs.

stixx2002

So they do contain subs?

I'm not an expert on 360 playback but I'm pretty sure it cannot play MKVs with subs.

Sorry, no. I meant that I remove the subs and chapters. Im just 100% confused why this was working fine previously and stopped out of nowhere. Ill do some more testing when I get home and reply back if I discover any other nuance.

• Like 1

I would double check the extenders & iso tab in the MBC configurator to make sure that the extender formats list is not empty. The configurator is found in start menu/all programs/media browser. Here is what my list contains

.dvr-ms,.wmv,.wtv,.m2ts,.mkv,.avi,.mp4,.mov,.m4v,.mpg,.mpeg,.mp3

stixx2002

I would double check the extenders & iso tab in the MBC configurator to make sure that the extender formats list is not empty. The configurator is found in start menu/all programs/media browser. Here is what my list contains

.dvr-ms,.wmv,.wtv,.m2ts,.mkv,.avi,.mp4,.mov,.m4v,.mpg,.mpeg,.mp3

Thanks - I will give that a look.

stixx2002

Well I simply gave up on trying to remedy the mkv issue. Converted all my mkvs to mt2s which seems to work fine. Regardless, thanks for all the help!