Shield TV stops playing video multiple times

oldschool

oldschool

My family watched a movie on our Shield TV last night using the Emby app, and during the movie, it stopped numerous times and returned to the title page. I was able to start the video again and play it, but it happened about 5-6 times last night. I thought maybe it was the video file (because it was a new one that we hadn't watched), but then today, another video that we play quite a bit started doing the same thing on a different Shield TV. So, it might be a bug in Emby.

Log.txt

May be network disruption.

Go to your settings in the app and turn on the debug options.  Then, the next time this happens, send a log from the app and come here and give me the details for it.  Instructions here.  Thanks.

CBers

I get the occasional STOP on my 2017 Shield, but it never seems to happen on my 2015 Shields.

Just though I'd provide annecdotal information.

If/when it happens again, I'll send logs.

Not sure if it is a network disruption or not but the item was playing along fine and then this:

04-04 19:35:15.917  8081  8789 E NdkMediaCodec: sf error code: -38
04-04 19:35:15.917  8081  8789 E VLC     : [6c1d3e2c] mediacodec decoder: AMediaCodec.dequeueOutputBuffer failed

You might want to try the beta of the app as we have updated some of the internal playback components.

Is the connection wired or wireless?

• 4 weeks later...
oldschool

A couple of troubleshooting steps I've taken. I replaced the original movie my family was watching with another one, and that movie kept stopping as well. We've had other movies play without a problem on that Shield TV, so I'm not sure what's going on, because with a new video, I would think it would work without a hitch.

We started playing a different movie this morning, and Emby is reporting that it is Direct Playing. This movie is stopping again in multiple places. I used MPC-HC on my PC to see if maybe there were errors in the video file or some artifacts I could see while playing the video at the exact same time that the video stopped on the Shield TV, and there was no problem playing back the video on a PC.

CPU usage and Physical Memory are pretty low when playing back from the server, so I have to think that it's a Shield TV issue. We have a very fast wired connection (gigabit) going to both Shield TV devices, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Any ideas? Do I need to send over another debug log?

Edited by oldschool

Can you please paste in here the media info from the web app for this item?

oldschool

File 1:

Media Info
VideoCodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level40
Resolution1920x1038
Aspect ratio1.85:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate1828 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
NAL4
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate376 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng AAC 5.1 Default
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate124 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng AAC stereo Default
SubtitleLanguageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
TitleEng
Containermp4
Path

oldschool

File 2:

Media Info
VideoCodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level40
Resolution1480x1080
Aspect ratio4:3
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate1962 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
NAL4
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate380 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng AAC 5.1 Default
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate124 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng AAC stereo Default
Containermp4

• 1 month later...
simonk83

I see this a fair bit too (it just happened again and I finally googled it, which led me here).

I run a 2017 Shield, and Kodi with the Emby plugin.  Randomly, episodes will just stop.  Some are fine, it just happens occasionally (we're watching a season of a show at the moment).

Hitting play again starts it up immediately and all is fine.

I see this a fair bit too (it just happened again and I finally googled it, which led me here).

I run a 2017 Shield, and Kodi with the Emby plugin.  Randomly, episodes will just stop.  Some are fine, it just happens occasionally (we're watching a season of a show at the moment).

Hitting play again starts it up immediately and all is fine.

Exactly how was the item playing in Kodi?  Was it direct playing or direct streaming?  Do you have the server log?

simonk83

Exactly how was the item playing in Kodi? Was it direct playing or direct streaming? Do you have the server log?

Hi, it was direct playing. Let me see if I can find it in the logs, otherwise I'll grab them next time for sure.

simonk83

If it was truly direct playing then whatever it was was outside of Emby.

Yep fair enough, looks like it might be an Nvidia Shield issue

• 3 months later...
SwanStream

In searching for similar with Kodi I happened on a post somewhere (lost it) that it MAY be a ES file explorer background activity pop-up of some sort.... I had this problem and uninstalled es file explorer (5 years ago was a great app and has become some sort of bloatware carrier species.... IMHO). Hasn't been long, but no video exiting since. Might be worth checking if you've got esfile explorer installed.