TV Genre not limited to Show(series) level

PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

Question

Why is TV Genre limited to only the Show level and not used at Season and Episode level

For example if i add a Genre to an Episode or Season and it is not a genre that's already part of a Show - nothing displays - same happens at the Season level.

This can be seen in the debug log "..Limit=100&IncludeItemTypes=Series&Genres=podcast

Can this be changed to include seasons and episodes as they are just as relevant for a "search" by Genre? 

Edited by PenkethBoy

Trying to manage genres for TV below the show level will create so much noise that it would make the feature almost unusable IMO.

We recently had a bug where episodes were showing in the genre views and we immediately had reports of it not working properly.

What is the scenario where you have seasons or episodes of a show that have a different genre than the show itself?

PenkethBoy

Because individual videos might have specific genres which are not part of the "general" genres you might put at the top level - and even if you did put every unique genre at the show level - its still of no use as you have no idea which episode has the "special" genre you are looking for.

So i have more detailed genres as you go down the detail level.

Cant see how having it working only at Show level makes any sense as Metadata is imported from TVDB down to Episode level. As the search is limited to 100 items no issue with it being unusable.

As the search is also unusable -  it does picks up these "extra" genres but when you click on them it shows nothing either.

So you have locked off the two ways you provide to "search" in Emby to only work at the top level - which is nuts.

Can you give me specific examples of shows that have this situation?  I think it is fairly rare.

Like I said, as soon as episodes started showing up in the genre views it was reported to us as a bug.  I think most people associate a genre with a show and including all episodes and seasons in the results would increase them exponentially - making it much harder to find what you are looking for in most cases (perhaps not the one you are looking for but, again, that seems like quite a rare instance).

PenkethBoy

Just checking a few Shows and the following have Genres at Episode level

Andromeda, Band of Brothers, BSG, BlackList, Borgen, Breaking Bad, Elementary etc etc - Not Rare at all

Well if the search was more sophisticated and searched within a library - or allowed you to do the basic things like limit a search by criteria rather than an arbitrary 100 results ... which generates the problem (bug) of not finding what you want.

You are limiting the usefulness of Emby by not allowing the user to search for what they want - its a database so its very easy to do this but its basic functionality thats been missing for ever.

Happy2Play

All the episodes I checked in The Black List and Elementary has the same genres as the series.

Andromeda, Band of Brothers, BSG, BlackList, Borgen, Breaking Bad, Elementary etc etc - Not Rare at all

But the question is, are those genres different than at the show level and are there enough for this to provide more value to most people as opposed to redundancy for most situations?

Search is a completely different thing from the genre views and some of the apps do allow you to search just within a library and break down the results by type.  This should be coming to the other apps as well.

Like any feature request, we will monitor this for traction.  I just wanted to set your expectations properly based on recent events.  Thanks.

schmitty

I think having Genres specified anywhere below the series level would unnecessarily clutter the genre view, and possibly cause more load on the server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

If the genres happen to be the same fine - but not relevant to what i want to use them for as i want them for video's of my own or do not have metadata to download

The fact they exist and are downloaded or manually added to a feature thats provided should give you the simple facility to search for them

The fact some apps do search by library is good and look forward to more apps supporting it - is there a list somewhere of which do and which dont yet?

Dont think it would clutter the Genre view if it was by "type" Show, Season or episode and the results are limited to 100 so no more load on the server than usual

Anyway its a moot point as you can search by Season and Episode in the Web App by Genre

blade005

If the genres happen to be the same fine - but not relevant to what i want to use them for as i want them for video's of my own or do not have metadata to download

The fact they exist and are downloaded or manually added to a feature thats provided should give you the simple facility to search for them

The fact some apps do search by library is good and look forward to more apps supporting it - is there a list somewhere of which do and which dont yet?

Dont think it would clutter the Genre view if it was by "type" Show, Season or episode and the results are limited to 100 so no more load on the server than usual

Anyway its a moot point as you can search by Season and Episode in the Web App by Genre

@@PenkethBoy

I appreciate that you may have a unique personal video situation, but I believe that Genre search in TV libraries should remain at the show level. I have a rather large TV library and if I search for the genre Drama in my TV library, I would like to see all the TV shows that are Dramas. Not a listing of 10 shows with genre Drama and then 90 episodes of Blue Bloods, for example.

@@ebr

Could the TAG field be a place where more granular searches could occur? Are any clients capable of searching at that level currently?

Edited by blade005
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

Where are you seeing seasons and episodes by genre in the web app?

simple modification of the url allows search by episode/season/music etc etc