mpg vs ts container question

SWKerr

SWKerr

The HDHomerun DVR application use the *.mpg container but the Emby implementation records using the *.ts.  I have found that all my various clients Xbox, FireTV and, Mibox seem to handle the mpg container better  than the ts.

Is there any way to change the recording format to mpg?

As of now I have started using the HDHomerun DVR instead of Emby but I would prefer to manage recording out of Emby DVR if possible. 

You can choose to convert our recordings into either .mkv or .mp4.  .ts is the native container of the original stream so we are just leaving it intact - unless you set the option to do otherwise.

SWKerr

You can choose to convert our recordings into either .mkv or .mp4.  .ts is the native container of the original stream so we are just leaving it intact - unless you set the option to do otherwise.

Using the convert option requires trans-coding and eats cpu.  The server may be fine with 1 recording but anymore than that and struggles depending on what else is going on.  (note it would be nice if this was a post processing option)  Note: The X1 seems to handle the .ts files better than the FireTV and AndroidTV boxes.  

I was hoping that there was a mpg option since that seems to play better than using the .ts container.  Since mpg is what HDHomerun DVR uses I was hoping there was an option in Emby.  The mpg files just seem to be better supported across all platforms and playback without needing to be trans-coded by the server.  This is something SiliconDust seems to have figured out and perhaps Emby should copy it.     

For now I am converting everything to mp4 using MCEbuddy but I loose the metadata trail during this process and there are non match issues on occasion.  

Using the convert option requires trans-coding and eats cpu.  

Not if you select the options to preserve the original audio and video.

@@SWKerr, they are not converting the file either so the .ts and .mpg data are the same things, just two different extensions. You could try renaming one of our .ts files to .mpg.

Or you could try as Ebr suggested. Your best option of all I think is to convert to mkv while preserving original video and audio.

blade005

Not if you select the options to preserve the original audio and video.

@@ebr

Clarification please.

If you select preserve original audio and video and select either MP4 or MKV container, there should be no difference in CPU usage as if you allowed the recording to be saved in its native TS container? It would be comparable to simply changing the container extension after the recording was completed? 

KeyserSoze1

There will be some CPU usage in the remuxing process.  But it's not a full transcode where it's converting the video from one codec to another so it should be a rather low utilization.

blade005

There will be some CPU usage in the remuxing process.  But it's not a full transcode where it's converting the video from one codec to another so it should be a rather low utilization.

@@KeyserSoze1,

Thanks. I run Emby on a low-end Minix W10 HTPC and just didn't want to have 2 or 3 simultaneous recordings going in the evening and have all other Emby activity grind to a halt. Currently letting it record in its native TS container has no effect, even with multiple recordings running simultaneously. Guess I will tinker with it some and see how it performs.