Everything on 55KU6400 gots transcodes in terrible quality

TheVMaster

TheVMaster

This concerns me a little

So is this a RAID array of virtual disks, or just lots of individual virtual disks (like JBOD)?  Are they all physically located on an SSD as well, or spinning disks?  I'm concerned disk read throughput or I/O throughput might be an issue.

What is the actual server processor that this vm is running on?

The fileserver VHDs are physically located on spinning disks (20 TB of SSD is too expensive for me  :D ). The physical server is a Intel i7 with 64 GB of ram and 7 spinning disks and 2 SSDs. The Windows VM (os disk) are all located on the SSDs and the 'storage' VHD are all on the spinning disks and are all presented to my file server (all the disks have their own drive letter and part of the movie library).

SamES

Ok, that makes sense.  Hyper-V is not my thing but I would be concerned about latency from the virtual disks, virtual disk controller, etc.  Whether this is actually a problem for HV I'm unsure but it sounds like a good place to start.

I can play 80Mbps 4K over wireless to a KU9005, so what you are trying to do sounds fine.  One difference is that (with ESXi) I pass through a M1115 SAS/SATA controller card to the VM and this way the VM actually sees a physical card with physical disks, only the OS is virtualised, not the spinning disks.  Not sure how loaded the server is but resource contention could also be an issue if the server is heavily committed.  It would be worth doing some resource monitoring on both the host and guest OS to check for any issues

TheVMaster

Ok, that makes sense.  Hyper-V is not my thing but I would be concerned about latency from the virtual disks, virtual disk controller, etc.  Whether this is actually a problem for HV I'm unsure but it sounds like a good place to start.

I can play 80Mbps 4K over wireless to a KU9005, so what you are trying to do sounds fine.  One difference is that (with ESXi) I pass through a M1115 SAS/SATA controller card to the VM and this way the VM actually sees a physical card with physical disks, only the OS is virtualised, not the spinning disks.  Not sure how loaded the server is but resource contention could also be an issue if the server is heavily committed.  It would be worth doing some resource monitoring on both the host and guest OS to check for any issues

The Hyper-V host is not really doing anything. SInce I'm an IT guy...I need room to build a test lab every now and then. But at this moment the machine is only serving movies and running two domain controllers, a download machine. That makes me thinking. There is a netgear switch which the tv (and xbox / ps4) connect to. Maybe I can try and remove that one. It sometimes gives me issues when trying to download an Xbox One game (slows down and I have to reboot the switch to fix it).

What I also see is that my Emby machine is really slow in presenting the coverart for my media, but I do think that is a different issue.

Update : I pulled out the Netgear (5 port switch) which connects the tv/xbox/ps4 to my main (ubiquiti) switch and the issues are gone now. 

Edited by TheVMaster

TheVMaster

With some movies removing the netgear switch wasn't enough. Since I saw you mentioning (@SamEs) that you were able to stream the movies through wifi, I also configured wifi (have a good AP in my house) and this solved the issue. So, the LAN connection on the 6400 is only 100Mbit, but the WIFI is faster... ;-) 

Monitored the WiFi APP and notices that the movie (which still stuttered at LAN) 'needs' 102 Mbit.....

Happy2Play

I notices a few internet topics complaining about the nic speeds on these tvs, and others having better luck on new wifi connections also.

TheVMaster

I notices a few internet topics complaining about the nic speeds on these tvs, and others having better luck on new wifi connections also.

Yeah..it looks that way. Strange that they didn't put a Gbit nic in the 'cheaper' models, since the price of a Gbit nic doesn't make the tv that much more expensive.

SamES

Glad to hear you sorted it out.  Thanks for the feedback

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Emby for Samsung Tizen 1.0.61 has been released for 2015-2019 models. Please try it out and stay tuned to the blog for release notes. Thanks !

• 1 month later...