IP Whitelisting

saajan4u

saajan4u

would love to have an option to whitelist IP addresses.

this would also tighten the security to some extent.

cheers

Saj

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

Interesting idea.

I think you can probably do this if you have a complex enough network already.  But I could see the value of an Emby setting.

Would MAC address be better?  Or would that even be feasible?

zigzagtshirt

Would be great to have this built into Emby.

However, you could just do it from your network firewall or OS firewall.  The downside is that most if not all of your external clients are probably subject to DHCP changing IPs every X amount of time.  So you would have to keep up with what IPs you want to whitelist.

@@BAlGaInTl  Can't MAC addresses be spoofed easily?

BAlGaInTl

Would be great to have this built into Emby.

However, you could just do it from your network firewall or OS firewall.  The downside is that most if not all of your external clients are probably subject to DHCP changing IPs every X amount of time.  So you would have to keep up with what IPs you want to whitelist.

@@BAlGaInTl  Can't MAC addresses be spoofed easily?

Yes.

But it would be incredibly difficult to figure out "which" MAC address to spoof.  

I'm thinking of a mobile device that may connect from multiple places... the IP would constantly be changing.

Jdiesel

Assign a dynamic DNS to each device and whitelist the dynamic DNS rather than the IP address.

the-dumb1

You don't need to wait for this feature to be added if you know your way around iptables or Windows Firewall.  ;-)   Deny all incoming by default and specify which addresses you want to allow.   That's what I have going right now.