Pushing the Roku over its capibilities? (beta)

skidmarks

skidmarks

This is a question that i have been pondering for a few months now...  Have i exceeded the SMOOTH running capabilities of emby roku?  By no means do i have the library sizes that other members have posted here in the past, but i do have a pretty nice sized library.  This is NO slam to ebr or the rest of the folks who are completely rewriting this beta for us.  It is a million times better then it's predecessor.  But i find it very lethargic (a big word i learned while being a animal control officer in DC many years ago).  I compare emby to my other solutions to come to this conclusion. 

Main screen load times are very close.  Going into the libraries that most folks are concerned about, tv and movies, are also very close.  But when you hit other libraries its night and day.  The two that really stick out are music and music videos.  Search function is another area where i have a pretty good delay (or it just freezes).

I dont think its the server causing these delays per say as i find the other emby apps:  web interface, xbox one, the EXCELLENT (and my new favorite) android tv (and those other guys) working, shall i say, almost flawlessly getting thru my libraries.

Did we add too much eye candy to the beta for people with larger libraries?  I hope not because i really like the look and feel of it.  Pushing the roku past its limits?

I would love to hear from others with a fairly extensive library chime in here...  I dont think it is prudent to discuss in detail library information, but if you have a larger library just chime in with how emby beta is handing the load.

I am running three roku 3's and one stick on the LAN...

Thanks...

Edited by skidmarks

You cant really compare apples and oranges. So rather than compare by platforms, compare by app. Is the original, or blue neon app, equally as slow with your libraries, when using search, etc? I've had issues where the new beta has such low timeouts some things wont load and either display the spinner forever, or that row disappears as if no content were there. Happens often for me when pulling my music albums or music artists. The server is slow at those endpoints in every app I try.

The difference when comparing apps will be how they handle paging/startindex/count and what parameters are going to which urls. The new app is also applying hearts as a way to detect favorites which does slow image rendering. (Side note: the new app has no way to show favorites, other than in the rows with other items. I have yet to see a way to just see favorites).

Other than that, I personally see no difference between the new app and the other apps. Its always the same lag, the same delay. You never mentioned your library size, mine is around 7k movies, maybe 80k tv episodes, 140k songs spread over 6k albums and what not, around 3k music videos. Not seeing the roku as limited at all, that might be because I'm using the roku ultra all the time. I hardly ever use the roku3 except to test code on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mikeraburn

I do see a small lag, more of a tiny jolting, when in individual libraries moving up and down in the "poster" view in the new Beta.

I see zero lag in Blue Neon when in individual libraries when moving left to right.

It isn't enough to really dig deep or investigate.

Jdiesel

I have always found the Roku app to be a bit slow, both the beta and the old version, but not enough to be a major annoyance. You do tend to notice it when switching between an app like Emby for Kodi where the art is cached locally versus an app like the Roku where it is being pulled from the server. 

Allan Cameron

This is a question that i have been pondering for a few months now...  Have i exceeded the SMOOTH running capabilities of emby roku?  By no means do i have the library sizes that other members have posted here in the past, but i do have a pretty nice sized library.  This is NO slam to ebr or the rest of the folks who are completely rewriting this beta for us.  It is a million times better then it's predecessor.  But i find it very lethargic (a big word i learned while being a animal control officer in DC many years ago).  I compare emby to my other solutions to come to this conclusion. 

Main screen load times are very close.  Going into the libraries that most folks are concerned about, tv and movies, are also very close.  But when you hit other libraries its night and day.  The two that really stick out are music and music videos.  Search function is another area where i have a pretty good delay (or it just freezes).

I dont think its the server causing these delays per say as i find the other emby apps:  web interface, xbox one, the EXCELLENT (and my new favorite) android tv (and those other guys) working, shall i say, almost flawlessly getting thru my libraries.

Did we add too much eye candy to the beta for people with larger libraries?  I hope not because i really like the look and feel of it.  Pushing the roku past its limits?

I would love to hear from others with a fairly extensive library chime in here...  I dont think it is prudent to discuss in detail library information, but if you have a larger library just chime in with how emby beta is handing the load.

I am running three roku 3's and one stick on the LAN...

Thanks...

I get no slowness or delays at all and my libraries are quite big, but i am using the Premiere+ witch has the same performance specs as the Ultra.

Your aging Roku 3 is far less capable then the newer models such as the Premiere+ and Ultra. Have you tried the new faster Roku's with the new Roku Emby Bata?

Hi.  Can you give me a specific example or two?

Exactly which screen

Library type

How many items within it

Exactly how long it takes

Thanks.

mikeraburn

Disregard my comments.

My network setup is more than likely the cause of the tiny bit lag I see In the Beta libraries.

As long as the selected media starts to play in a timely manner, it does, plays well, it does, then that is all that counts for me.

tyr_88

I have no lag running on main PC rig daily use for everything

Roku Premiere +
Server Version - 3.2.10.0
Emby App version - BETA

3 - phones

3 - TV's

1 - Roku

2 - Dish hopper/joey

Libraries

Audio Books / mixed content
Books / books
History Docs / movies
Shorts / tv
Movies / movies
Music / music
Recordings / unset
TV / tv

post-193896-0-42824500-1490977269_thumb.png

Edited by tyr_88

skidmarks

My mind is fogged by my ms crap for the past few days.  I have tried a few different times to post a logical reply to this thread.  But i can't get it to come out of my brain.  I am going to get a new roku and see how it goes, will try the neon app as well.  But it sounds as though users are having pretty good success with the new roku app, and glad to hear that.  

ebr- its music and music videos that are sometimes very annoying to get loaded up.  But realize even on the web interface this is an issue.  Think i had 5.5K music videos and 65K in songs.  I counted to reply earlier but dont recall exactly what that number was.  The first attempt at loading music usually returns no results.  Backing out and returning will populate the library within 30 seconds.

Thanks to everyone that posted in this thread.  I will dig around a little and see what shakes out (at a later time)!

Edited by skidmarks

Okay, thanks for the clarifications.  If the Web app has issues sometimes as well, then I'm sure we are dealing with just the sheer volume.  I'll see what adjustments I can make in the music areas to potentially counteract that.

• Like 1