Unnecessary HEVC transcoding to Nvidia shield 2017

h.buckle

h.buckle

I have a few HEVC files that are being transcoded for playback on the shield. I can copy the files to a USB stick and play them in VLC locally on the shield, so it is capable of playing them natively.

Server version is 3.2.7.0

Android TV app version 1.3.2.8

Transcode log from the server is attached, debug log sent from the app at 1800 UK time, user logged in was Media

Log.txt

This item is transcoding due to the audio.  Your device is reporting that it only supports stereo.  What is the Shield hooked to?

BTW - playing a file in VLC is not indicative of native device support.  VLC includes a copy of ffmpeg inside it which can convert a lot of things on the fly.

h.buckle

OK, that's interesting about VLC. The shield is connected to the TV via HDMI. Other files with multi channel audio playback directly with no transcoding. I just remuxed the file to remove the audio track and it still transcodes the video so not sure what is going on.

Log.txt

The fact that there is no audio track at all could be throwing it for a loop.  The server log would give us a clue why it is transcoding.

However, I also just put up a new beta (1.3.30) that should stream copy the hevc stream instead of transcoding it to h264.

h.buckle

Yep the latest version plays the video natively and just transcodes the audio, which is fine for me, it was mainly the video I didn't want transcoded. I'm guessing the shield can't natively decode eac3. ffmpeg can decode it so I'd guess it should be able to work without transcoding, can upload more logs if you want to investigate any more.

CBers

I'm guessing the shield can't natively decode eac3.

What TV do you have?

My EAC3 content also gets transcoded when playing on my Shield, which is hooked up to my Samsung TV.

I'm guessing the shield can't natively decode eac3. ffmpeg can decode it so I'd guess it should be able to work without transcoding, can upload more logs if you want to investigate any more.

No, it cannot decode it but it can pass it through but only if the target device supports it and it appears your TV does not.  Many TVs support regular DD but not DD+.