Live Guide goes away

spencerisadog

spencerisadog

Hey all, 

I'm running Emby Server on FreeNAS V3.2.7.  I have been having an issues the last several days where if we start up the Emby client, from either PC or AndroidTV, it doesn't show any "LiveTV" channels.  All I have to do to fix the issue is go to the server and run the Refresh Guide task, it then immediately resolves on all clients.  This is the first time I've experienced having to reset the guide since using Emby / HDHomeRun.

This either means you are either not running the server long enough to allow the guide refresh to run on it's own automatically, or some kind of failure occurred. More than likely it is the first one. Try adjusting the schedule of the refresh guide scheduled task to something that more closely fits your usage. 

If the issue persists, please provide the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !

spencerisadog

Thanks for the support Luke!  I run my server 24 hours with a weekly Monday morning reset.  I set the scheduled task to run every 2 hours instead of 12 hours.  If it helps, about five minutes before I saved the log file I did a Guide refresh manually to fix it again.  My wife said she didn't have Live TV this evening, but it recorded Dr. Phil at 4:00 PM EST, so it stopped working sometime between then and I'd say 8:00 PM EST.

If you want to dig through the logs or tell me what to look for in them I have provided a link below.

Server Log Here

I'll let you know if the two hour schedule doesn't resolve the issue.

Thanks again for all of your efforts.

Edited by spencerisadog

spencerisadog

I actually have only had it happen once since changing the scheduled task up to 2 hours.  I have not yet upgraded but I will as soon as I get home.  I also don't know if @@josh4trunks has put the newest pbi up to the repo yet.

spencerisadog

@@Luke I updated yesterday.  I've noticed the issue twice since the update.  Maybe it's just because I notice it more frequently.  I had to rerun the task just now and it said "Last ran 2 hours ago, taking 10 seconds."  The task is still scheduled for 2 hours.  After I ran it again it took 20 seconds and worked.

spencerisadog

It just happened again.  We were watching TV, backed out to switch channels and all the channels were gone.  The task says it last ran 50 minutes ago, taking 17 seconds.  Could it be something external?  Like my HDHomeRun flaking out?  If Emby doesn't see the channels will it not bother updating the guide?  It was supposed to start recording Survivor at 8:00 PM so I'll see if it has the full episode.

spencerisadog

Alright, so for what it's worth.  I noticed that when it messes up it only takes 10 seconds to run.  I then have to run the task again manually and it takes somewhere between 17 and 20 seconds if it works.

maegibbons

Hi

If it is an HDHR problem, the channels will only dissapear on a guide refresh. And if that happenned 50 mins ago then that is not the problem.

I had an issue with low signals on channels and found this to happen but your issue sounds different.

Krs

Mark

spencerisadog

Yeah, the channels come back on a guide refresh so it almost seems it's the exact opposite.  Interesting information though!

Thank you, sir.

spencerisadog

Now it appears to be happening every 45 minutes or so pretty consistently, even mid recording.  I also have to refresh the guide twice.  I know when it works because the Guide Refresh will either go from 0% to 10% to 100% (when it doesn't work) or it will go 0% to 10% to 11% and then jump up for what appears to be each of the channels we have.

maegibbons

Hi

You wont like my suggestion BUT

Heve you tried running the server on a Windows machine copying the configuration with the backup/restore plugin?

Just thought it might help isolate any OS/Hardware/Evironment issues.

I have both a Linux server and Windows server both setup against a Qnap NAS so that i can test for odd issues that arise occasionally.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

spencerisadog

I don't have the hardware lying around to test on a windows environment.  I don't say this next part to be a dick, just a legitimate conversation; the reason I went with Emby at the time was because Plex didn't offer LiveTV support.  But the Plex plugin is a pretty easy package to install and all my media already exists so it wouldn't be hard to test on Plex now that they have LiveTV support.  Again, I'm not saying that to rub it in anyone's face.  @@Luke, @@josh4trunks, and the rest of the Emby community has made Emby great for me.  I'm not sure how long I can fend off my wife before she has had enough :)

I would suggest removing the guide and tuner setup, then refreshing the guide to let the database clear out. Then when that's done add them back. It might just be a data related issue of an older tuner setup. Let me know if that helps. Thanks.

spencerisadog

@@Luke Here is a log.  This may help because the first refresh didn't work.  I had to immediately do it again.  I'll try the tuner thing now!

Log

I ran the refresh at approximately 5:31 EST.

Thanks!

spencerisadog

Tuner and guide removed.  Refreshed guide, obviously, it just got stuck at 0%.  Backed out, did guide refresh again, again got stuck at 0%.  Tuner and guide put back in, when the refresh went it seemed to follow the "good" routine where it gets to 10, then 11, then skips for each channel we have.  Fingers crossed!

As always, thank you for your support!!

Well in this case it's due to your HDHR not responding:

2017-04-07 00:51:09.9946 Error HttpClient: Error getting response from http://192.168.1.128/discover.json
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.9.0
	Command line: /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -ffmpeg /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/bin/ffprobe -programdata /var/db/emby-server
	Operating system: Unix 10.3.0.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Mono: 4.4.2 (Stable 4.4.2.11/f72fe45 Mon Aug 22 04:48:30 UTC 2016)
	Processor count: 16
	Program data path: /var/db/emby-server
	Application directory: /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server
	System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.WebException: Aborted.
	  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) <0x80de64750 + 0x0020d> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].FromAsyncCoreLogic (IAsyncResult iar, System.Func`2 endFunction, System.Action`1 endAction, System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization) <0x80de642a0 + 0x00093> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	  at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x80dfe47a0 + 0x00038> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x80dfe42d0 + 0x00118> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x80dfe4200 + 0x000b3> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x80b786d40 + 0x00042> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[TResult].GetResult () <0x80b7a41f0 + 0x0001f> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at Emby.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager+<SendAsyncInternal>d__22.MoveNext () <0x80de01090 + 0x00fe0> in <filename unknown>:0 
	---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.WebException: Aborted.
	  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) <0x80de64750 + 0x0020d> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].FromAsyncCoreLogic (IAsyncResult iar, System.Func`2 endFunction, System.Action`1 endAction, System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization) <0x80de642a0 + 0x00093> in <filename unknown>:0 <---

System.AggregateException
	  at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x80dfe47a0 + 0x00038> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x80dfe42d0 + 0x00118> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x80dfe4200 + 0x000b3> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x80b786d40 + 0x00042> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[TResult].GetResult () <0x80b7a41f0 + 0x0001f> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at Emby.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager+<SendAsyncInternal>d__22.MoveNext () <0x80de01090 + 0x00fe0> in <filename unknown>:0 
	InnerException: System.Net.WebException
	System.Net.WebException: Aborted.
	  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].FromAsyncCoreLogic (IAsyncResult iar, System.Func`2 endFunction, System.Action`1 endAction, System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization) <0x80de642a0 + 0x00093> in <filename unknown>:0 

spencerisadog

I rebooted it.  The IP is manually assigned by the MAC through my router.  Would this be the cause of the guide going away?  If my HDHR isn't responding on an initial request?  So, I don't know how the code works, but am I correct in this layman's analysis?

Emby: "Hey, I need to refresh my guide.  Tuner, what channels do you have?"
Tuner: "....."
Emby: "Well, I guess he doesn't have any channels.  Nothing to see here."

I rebooted it.  The IP is manually assigned by the MAC through my router.  Would this be the cause of the guide going away?  If my HDHR isn't responding on an initial request?  So, I don't know how the code works, but am I correct in this layman's analysis?

Emby: "Hey, I need to refresh my guide.  Tuner, what channels do you have?"

Tuner: "....."

Emby: "Well, I guess he doesn't have any channels.  Nothing to see here."

That could happen, yes.