iOS app - spinning circle - transcoding instead of direct

themimperials

themimperials

Hello!

I am having a lot of trouble with my iOS app of Emby. 

Sometimes when I play something, it will start playing right away, and my dashboard will show my device playing "Direct Play". However MOST of the time, I will just get the spinning circle of doom for a couple of minutes, and my Emby dashboard will say that what I am playing is transcoding.

My Emby server is running on a Synology NAS, with pretty limited resources, so the problem might be because it wants to transcode, but the server is too slow. My network however is really fast, so there is no reason why it should want to start transcoding.

Is there any way in the settings that I can entirely disable transcoding, so that it can never happen under any circumstances? I only ever want entirely direct play, so I really hope you can help me find this setting.

In the emby server dashboard you can take away a user's access to transcoding. It will then apply to all apps. But be careful, it will cause playback failures when devices can't direct play the content.

We can look at the current issue if you can provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

If the issue persists it will be the same visual symptom of spinning circle, but for a different reason - format not supported by the video player.