Media won't play in MB3 Classic over internet

dannydc

Hi

Due to work, I often stay at another property away from home. While I'm there I'd like to be able to stream my media from home to my media center there.

At home, everything works great internally over the LAN, and DynDNS and port forwarding are all set up and working fine for remote connections, and I've got as far as playing media in a browser from my work digs. MB3 Classic also appears to work fine in Media Center - it pulls down the folders and the film/series artwork etc from the server, but pressing "play" does nothing. I had the same problem on the LAN until I found out that I had to use the UNC paths to the shares on the server to rather than just pointing to the drive/folder.

Any ideas how to get it to play remotely? Do I need to create a second media library using the DynDNS address and the share name or something like that?

cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
JeremyFr79

I am able to do this successfully however to do I'm running OpenVPN on my PFSense Gateway I built and VPN'ing into my home network, works like a charm as long as you have the home connection speeds to support it.

@@ebr don't you have this working good on MBT if that is an option for the op?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I believe playing over the internet works for MBT but having never tried it, can't say 100%. I'm not sure it will ever be in MBC because from my understanding the problem is WMC itself doesn't like HLS files.