Windows Server 2016 Core - Emby

strugglez

strugglez

Hi guys,

I've recently just done a major switcharoo on running my Emby Server off a Hyper-V VM that is running Windows Server 2016 without the GUI (Core install) as the Operating Syatem.
I have managed to get Emby to install and have managed to be able to configure Emby remotely from another local Machine. I think I will manage to configure some things such as starting Emby as a service unless the inbuilt "Run server at startup" is suffice? but

However, there is one major problem that I can not workout. It may be the fact that it is installed on a Server Core installation but I can't stream to any of my devices that need transcoding. Direct play works flawlessly and funnily enough when I go to the transcoding settings I get this error (see attached picture).
I have checked the directory and the for ffmpeg and ffprobe and they are there.

I tried doing a search on the forums but not many people seem to of done a core installation and/or not run in to many problems at all it seems. 
I have done what this thread described but I haven't registered the DLLs but this didn't help (unless someone can guide me on registering the DLL's if that would maybe fix the problem).

After some searching around, it seems that maybe Windows Server 2016 Core can't can't utilize ffmpeg etc as the dependencies are all within the "Desktop Experience Feature"? Unfortunately that can't be added and removed unlike previous editions of Windows Server and can only be done at installation of the OS. I am hoping someone can chime in with more knowledge than myself on this as I would prefer if I could use server core still over the full GUI OS.

Any help would be much appreciated

post-640-0-76104500-1490513405_thumb.png

Log.txt

Log2.txt

Edited by strugglez

are you able to run this from a command line?

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\ffmpeg\20160410\ffmpeg.exe -version

strugglez

Hey Luke,

It would appears that the command has no response what so ever.. I logged in with the local Admiistrator account and there is no version provided back.

Cheers

post-640-0-49680500-1490556628_thumb.png

strugglez

Well, That's what I am guessing. Am I the 1st person to try this on Server 2016 Server Core? If it means anything, I have previously used it on Windows Server 2016 but with the full installation including the the GUI obviously and it worked perfectly. I see another person from the below thread had same/similar issues and resolved his by copying certain DLLs from a full installation but that is referring to a Server 2012R2 Core installation. I tried doing what was described there but to no success. In saying that, I didn't register any of them and just did a reboot.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/12727-question-about-ffprobe-on-windows-server-core/

I'm stumped too.

strugglez

Hey, as already mentioned, I have done exactly what's mentioned in that link x-cimo as I also had commented in that thread too. I feel as if that fix does not work on Server 2016 Core unfortunately. 

strugglez

I can screen shot you all the files existing in the directories as suggested if you would like. I just double checked as I wrote my last reply. I also grabbed these files from a full install of Windows Server 2016 also. I am unsure on how to register these files however if that is needed but as another user stated on the other thread, that method didn't work for him/her either using Server 2012. There must be more to it than just copying those files?

I guess I'll keep looking and mucking about with it.

naeonline

I Don't have a Core install setup right now, but try installing the Server-Media-Foundation feature through powershell.
Open an admin powershell console and first run

get-windowsfeature *media*

to see if the feature is available on core.  if it is, then run

get-windowsfeature *media* | install-windowsfeature

or

install-windowsfeature -name "Server-Media-Foundation"

Not sure if this will solve, but may help.

strugglez

Hi naeonline,

I had installed that feature already via Server Manager remotely (Not through use of powershell) but to no success it didn't seem to help the situation.

I have gone off using Server Core for now as I wanted to get my Emby-Server up and running. I have switched to using the CentOS minimal install (headless/GUIless) and have managed to work my way through setting that up with Emby and accessing my Windows shares using CIFS as part of the Domain. 

I will however spin up the virtual machine again and play around with Server Core 2016 more for testing and feed back for anyone else that has this problem and I will try your suggestion of using powershell locally to install the Media-Foundation instead. I may end up switching back to using Server Core for Emby if I can resolve this matter as it's my understanding that Emby was natively developed for the windows platform over a linux based one. Are windows and Linux platforms at such stage in development that they are essentially the same and maintained as frequently to be of not worth comparing by and would it just come down to user knowledge and preference of the operating system?

Cheers 

• 6 months later...

So the problem with running it on Server Core 2016 is that it is missing C:\Windows\system32\AVICAP32.DLL which in turn has a dependency on C:\Windows\system32\MSVFW32.DLL. If you copy these files from a Server 2016 Desktop Experience install to your Server Core install, FFMPEG will run correctly. It does not have a dependency on the Server Media Foundation feature, these DLLs are not included in that feature on Server Core 2016. If things change in the future you can troubleshoot it and find the missing DDLs, by going through the Emby log, find the FFMPEG command it runs, and then manually run it as the account the service runs as. It should popup a dialog complaining about what DLLs are missing.

Edited by muhfugen
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
jaspalgill

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, however this may help someone. I just tried to upgrade to 3.3.0.0 and I got a pop-up warning me that another DLL is now required - dxgi.dll. I copied it straight from my Windows 10 machine to the /system32 folder on my Server 2016 Hyper-V machine and the installer completed successfully.

I've tested a few H264 at 720p and 1080p, everything seems to play fine direct playing or direct streaming, I'll continue to test...

jaspalgill

@@jaspalgill how did you determine that this .dll was required? Thanks !

I did the upgrade using the application installer, during the install the requirement appeared in a warning pop-up and the install failed, unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot. 

I did the upgrade using the application installer, during the install the requirement appeared in a warning pop-up and the install failed, unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot. 

Which OS exactly? Core, Nano or Hyper-V? 

jaspalgill

Which OS exactly? Core, Nano or Hyper-V?

It was Hyper-V 2016.

Also, thanks for the info in your feature request on github, the DLL's required for SkiaSharp have fixed the creation of dynamic images for my library items as well as the CoverArt plugin ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
jaspalgill

Upgrade to 3.4 through the GUI was entering an endless loop which a few others have seen too, however a server reboot didn't fix it for me. So I tried to install 3.4 with the exe installer, the first time I tried it I got the following error message pop up.

5aeb6f9eea684_dxgidllemby34upgrade.jpg

The file is in that location but it was one that I copied from my Windows 10 install, I did a sfc /checknow which showed nothing wrong. I tried the installer again and this time I got no error message and emby is showing 3.4.0 is installed. Have tested a couple of direct streams and some transcoded content, so all seems to be working...any idea what that missing function is for?

Well it says D3D, my only guess would be something related to the tray icon app because that's the only part of the server that has Windows UI components.