Skip back jumps position on Fire TV

obrienmd

obrienmd

ATV version: 1.3.28a Registered

Server version: 3.2.7 release - 3.2.8.11 beta

Media: Both H264 direct-stream and transcoded MPEG2 ts from HD Homerun

On FireTV, when pressing skip back, recording position skips around unexpectedly.

Example:

1. Watching HDHR TV recording
  2. Skip past commercial using skip forward (in 30s chunks)
  3. Skip a bit past start of next segment, want to skip back to start
  4. Press skip back twice to skip back 20s (in 10s chunks)
  5. Progress indicator goes from 13:30 to 13:10, but then jumps forward to 13:45 before recording starts (this all happens very quickly)

Is anyone else seeing something like this?

maegibbons

Yes. Sometimes i have to skip back 4 mins to go back a net 2 as it tends to skip forward.

Krs

Mark

I haven't ever seen this.  Has it only happened with the beta?

Are there steps that will consistently reproduce it?

maegibbons

I will have a try at reproducing it on demand and try and find a smallish media file to upload.

Krs

Mark

obrienmd

I'll try to get repro steps down tonight - will try on a few Fire TVs tonight as well to make sure this one's not just glitchy (though maegibbons sees it too).

obrienmd

Happens on all Fire TVs on all recordings right now - latest beta Emby Windows Server and latest pre-release Emby Fire TV client.

What logs can I pull to help with this?

Happens on all Fire TVs on all recordings right now - latest beta Emby Windows Server and latest pre-release Emby Fire TV client.

What logs can I pull to help with this?

Recordings, meaning these are Live TV recordings created with Emby?  Internal Live TV or a plug-in?

Can you reproduce the issue and then send a log from the app?  Instructions here: How to Report a Problem

Thanks.

obrienmd

Internal Live TV.

Will generate a report tonight. Of note, recordings start with stuttering audio, and I have to back out and start playing again to get that cleared up.

obrienmd

Recordings, meaning these are Live TV recordings created with Emby?  Internal Live TV or a plug-in?

Can you reproduce the issue and then send a log from the app?  Instructions here: How to Report a Problem

Thanks.

App log sent @ about 858pm Pacific US time from Amazon Fire TV, let me know what else I can provide!

Edited by obrienmd

App log sent @ about 858pm Pacific US time from Amazon Fire TV, let me know what else I can provide!

Thanks.  Can you please post the server log from that same time period?

It is playing back in VLC and that player cannot determine the length of the video - which means it has to fall back on some "guessing" techniques in order to seek.

Ah, I see.  The source is actually a .ts file which is not a natively seekable container.  VLC does try to support it but, as I think you are finding, with some varied results.

I assume this issue only happens on these types of files?

maegibbons

Not sure how to proceed

By default emby records to .ts. 

It is in recorded media from either HDHR or IPTV that I see issues.

Kr's

Mark

It doesn't mean you can't play it, it just means we may have to use the server to remux it.

maegibbons

Sure. Fully understand that and I currently record and play .ts every day.  The issue is skipping backwards does not always skip back by the required increments and can sometimes jump forward.

AND from what ebr just said it is a problem with the .ts container generally.

I will test recording to mkv again because I had problems with that previously.

Krs

Mark

Yeah, if this is a widespread problem, we might have to disallow direct playback of .ts.

obrienmd

Yep, only happens with .ts. MythTV frontend skipped fine on these, but there might have been some internal magic for that.

Is there a way to force the frontend to use transcode/internal rather than direct/vlc? It always seems to start in direct/v.

No, I would just have to remove support for it to be direct streamed.

I'm surprised though because I didn't think we'd had problems with this in the past.  VLC seems to always have been able to do an okay job with them.  I'm wondering if it may be related to some sort of change in the recording process or something.

What do the run times on these items look like in the web app?

maegibbons

Hmm..  I know you guys dont like too many options.  But perhaps

"Disable direct stream of .ts media"  could be a setting.

Whilst the seeking is an issue not sure it is so big to warrant disabling the capability of direct playing it.

Krs

Mark

Hmm..  I know you guys dont like too many options.  But perhaps

"Disable direct stream of .ts media"  could be a setting.

Whilst the seeking is an issue not sure it is so big to warrant disabling the capability of direct playing it.

Krs

Mark

It would only result in a remux.  Basically the same as live TV or in-progress recordings with seeking enabled.

maegibbons

No, I would just have to remove support for it to be direct streamed.

I'm surprised though because I didn't think we'd had problems with this in the past.  VLC seems to always have been able to do an okay job with them.  I'm wondering if it may be related to some sort of change in the recording process or something.

What do the run times on these items look like in the web app?

The run times are generally ok - sometimes we get funny run times but i tend to discount those anyway.

Certainly some recorded content is worse than others.

I will try and monitor the bad ones i come across over next few days to look for differences.

Krs

Mark

pünktchen

Yeah, if this is a widespread problem, we might have to disallow direct playback of .ts.

Oh man, please don't do this!

obrienmd

Is there a way to force my Fire TV no never direct-stream mpeg2 (or better, ts containers specifically)?

Is there a way to force my Fire TV no never direct-stream mpeg2 (or better, ts containers specifically)?

No but you could use the playback correction option to force it to change players.

You could also use the conversion on playback recording options in the server if these are recordings created with Emby.

obrienmd

Sorry - do you mean conversion on recording (i.e. "Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format")?