Typical Play Problems

Mopar_Mudder

Mopar_Mudder

Here is a typical night lately of me trying to use Emby Theater. Two nights ago we started watching a movie, this movie is a DVD ripped to folders. The movie did play but it took about a minute of looking at the spinning circle before it would start playing. We didn't finish the entire movie.

Last night we went to finidh watching the movie. Hit the resume and again a long time waiting for the spinning circle, and then it played the video backdrop not the movie, then went back to the details page? I tried resume again and it finally played but started from the begining even though the progress bar showed it over 1/2 done. So I stopped the movie again and just used play so the progress bar would be right and I could skip forward to where we left off. Well yea none of that works, can't skip forward can't fast forward. Clicking anywhere on the time like causes the movie to restart.

Personaly I think Theater has some pretty big bug in it that needs to be worked out in the play back department, and they have been their for a long time. I have noticed before that if you do not wait for a video backdrop to start playing before a movie is played it causes issues, and some times they take a long time to start. The last 10 movies or so I have not even been able to watch, I have to start up the old reliable TMT and play them manually.

I love the idea of the product but patients are wearing thin for me.

My wife wont even attempt to go and start a movie anymore, and you know what they say about when mama's not happy!

I attached a log but I don't know if it is complete because I went to get it this morning and the Emby Server wasn't even running? I don't know if it crashed and quit last night when we were trying to watch a movie or what.

Log.txt

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I think playback is pretty close to perfect for video files, but yes there are some things that need to be worked out in regards to folder rip structures. 

Deathsquirrel

Unfortunately our entire library is in folders

This is a very limiting way to store your movies.  I'd seriously look into converting them to MKV.  You'll gain a lot of compatibility and if you don't want to reencode the MKV conversion is very fast.

• Like 1

Mopar_Mudder

800+ files, I have better things to do. I tried MKV once and I know their was some things it did that I didn't like. For one it does seem to designate between BluRay and DVD, it calls them all MKV. Been awhile since I messed with it though.

Mopar_Mudder

800+ files, I have better things to do. I tried MKV once and I know their was some things it did that I didn't like. For one it does seem to designate between BluRay and DVD, it calls them all MKV. Been awhile since I messed with it though.

Marc_G

Look into a free product called Vidcoder. It can handle batch conversions. I converted a largish (200) DVD collection (iso format) a few years ago to proper files. Worked a treat. Works for file structures too I believe.