Wrong subtitle encoding

sse450

sse450

I love Emby. But, I have never got subtitle encoding correctly and almost given up on this issue until I read a thread posted a couple of weeks ago (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45316-subtitle-encoding-problem-with-addon-mode-on-kodi-17/). It raised my hopes for a solution.

My setup is Emby Version 3.2.8.11 beta on a Centos server. When I connect to Emby server through the Emby web interface, the subtitle encoding is wrong. If you want to see the examples, please refer to the thread link posted above as it is exactly the same problem. It seems, the encoding of subtitle is ISO 8859-9, but Emby is treating it as ISO 8859-1. As far as I know, there is no encoding setting in Emby server.

I would appreciate if you kindly help me in setting up this encoding issue.

TIA.

Edited by sse450

sse450

@@sse450 can you please provide an example? Are they external subtitles?

This is what I get through the web interface:

http://prntscr.com/eoklnf

This is the one with correct character encoding:

http://prntscr.com/eokmqk

Yes, these are external subtitles, be it downloaded by Emby or uploaded manually.

As far as I understand, It seems, Emby server on Windows has no such an issue as indicated and solved by the thread given in the first post.

Thanks.

meridyen

Same issue appeared here with both web client and Apple Tv. on my side it started after latest update to 3.2.9  . There was no problem yesterday with previous version 3.2.8.

post-131441-0-61876700-1490840748_thumb.jpg

Edited by meridyen

• 2 weeks later...

@@meridyen, can you please discuss a specific example? Are these external subtitles? If they are external, can you please zip them up and attach them? Thanks !

@@meridyen, you're saying this was in the web app? This particular example appears to be working just fine out of the box for me....

58f04325b5e09_Untitled.png

meridyen

@@meridyen, you're saying this was in the web app? This particular example appears to be working just fine out of the box for me....

58f04325b5e09_Untitled.png

@@Luke if above is how its look out of the box, that is what i am talking about. Characters are not right. Try to save the file as UTF-8 and play the movie again, you will see the correct one.

By the way, It is not just on web player but also on apple tv too.

• 2 months later...
sse450

I am the OP of this thread.

I was away from the forum for some time. Just updated my Emby server to 3.2.20.14. I see that the issue I reported is gone.

Luke, I am grateful for your support. Thank you very much.

• 1 year later...

I am the OP of this thread.

I was away from the forum for some time. Just updated my Emby server to 3.2.20.14. I see that the issue I reported is gone.

Luke, I am grateful for your support. Thank you very much.

Hi ı dont understand still problem valid. There is no settings on LG tv side for encode external subtitle.

@@Oguzhan can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Hello I check information and this is the right topic for this. I didn't want to open another topic for same problem. Also as mentioned external subtitles creates problem on DLNA Tv. Is it possible to add encode settings.

Thanks 

You can post here, but I would still like to go over an example using the information requested in the link above. We're happy to help, but we need you to help us first in understanding the scenario. Thanks.

As you see on attachment when u select external sub sub works without transcoding this part ok. But some of letters has problem because of sub encoding. 

This sub has to be 'Ne yapıyorsun' but its wrong. Need UTF 8 or windows 1235 coding or something like that for right meaning.

if you ask my opinion ıt must be one setting where we can adjust sub encoding.

Thanks.

post-354513-0-67977200-1536963501_thumb.png

What kind of subtitles? Internal or external? What format subtitles? If they are external, what is the filename of both the video and subtitles? Thanks.

What kind of subtitles? Internal or external? What format subtitles? If they are external, what is the filename of both the video and subtitles? Thanks.

Subtitles external.

Subtitle format srt.

Film name and subtitle name same. Fury and Fury.srt

Thanks.

Try following our subtitle guide to rename the subtitles to include the language:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

Then run a library scan. In the vast majority of cases this will resolve it because the server can use the language to guess the encoding when it can't be detected from the file.

Try following our subtitle guide to rename the subtitles to include the language:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

Then run a library scan. In the vast majority of cases this will resolve it because the server can use the language to guess the encoding when it can't be detected from the file.

I tried with fury.tr.srt it works now ok. But it makes transcoding how can I make direct play without transcoding.