Record TV to Mp4

cajacontrol

cajacontrol

Hi, Friends

I use a TBS tv Card to capture tv stream and use a nextpvr addon and work great

Emby made well all record that programed in a .ts file

but emby its hard to play .ts without transcoding

I saw a emby option to conver TV recordings in a mp4 file, I did that selection but my emby dont do it

can any one help me how to do to emby conver mi .ts recorded file to mp4 ?

thanks

4d57b69a4ac4b21adcd6c096bfa26bd2o.jpg

cc61f90f46fd60fa573d57cdce973b39o.jpg

1475aafedc8cc5fe3549cd956d660aeco.jpg

Hi, this option only applies to recording with the built in live tv features, in other words, without the next pvr plugin. Perhaps in a future update we will look at extending support to the plugins as well.

bcm00re

I second the motion to be able to record directly to mp4 -- and it'd be really nice if hardware encoding was supported too!  A guy can dream can't he? 

Seriously, I feel a late model processor that has hardware coding (like an Intel i7-6700) should easily be able to handle doing real-time mp4 encoding of OTA signals.  It would be a big plus because then the file saved/recorded would already be compatible with many streaming devices -- like Rokus.

Guest asrequested

Seriously, I feel a late model processor that has hardware coding (like an Intel i7-6700) should easily be able to handle doing real-time mp4 encoding

They can, and mine will convert 3 streams at a time, with ease. But I have 2 HDHR Prime units. 

• Like 1

I second the motion to be able to record directly to mp4 -- and it'd be really nice if hardware encoding was supported too!  A guy can dream can't he? 

Seriously, I feel a late model processor that has hardware coding (like an Intel i7-6700) should easily be able to handle doing real-time mp4 encoding of OTA signals.  It would be a big plus because then the file saved/recorded would already be compatible with many streaming devices -- like Rokus.

We can already record directly to mp4 with the built in HD Homerun support (and M3U).

bcm00re

We can already record directly to mp4 with the built in HD Homerun support (and M3U).

I assume you are talking about the HDhomerun EXTEND that outputs mp4, correct?  We are talking about all the other HDhomerun units that output the OTA mpeg2 signal; it would be cool if Emby could support taking that stream and transcoding it (on the fly) with the saved recording being in mp4 -- and doing so using the hardware encoders in today's processors (and video cards).

We do support that. You don't need to use the Extend model. The other HD Homerun network models are fine too.

Guest asrequested

I assume you are talking about the HDhomerun EXTEND that outputs mp4, correct?  We are talking about all the other HDhomerun units that output the OTA mpeg2 signal; it would be cool if Emby could support taking that stream and transcoding it (on the fly) with the saved recording being in mp4 -- and doing so using the hardware encoders in today's processors (and video cards).

The server has this option if you use any HDHR device.

58db3d205279a_Snapshot_562.jpg

bcm00re

Thanks for straightening me out guys!  That said, I'm not seeing that option anywhere (with my HDHR-US device).

Edited by bcm00re

Guest asrequested

Thanks for straightening me out guys!  That said, I'm not seeing that option anywhere (with my HDHR-US device).

You don't see that under Live TV  >  Settings?

bcm00re

Nope.  All I see when I go to Live TV is:  Tuners Devices, Guider Providers, and Tuners. 

58dd95cdd544b_Emby_LiveTV_menu.jpg

I do not yet have Emby Premiere, but the note I see on your screen shot implies I should at lease see the option now.  I am on the latest Emby (3.2.10).

bcm00re

Have you explored all areas of the live TV section?

There isn't much there, and I have dug around all three areas under Live TV. I am obviously missing something. I've done some Google searches and looked over the wiki (on gitHub) and cannot find the settings shown by Doofus above. Edited by bcm00re

Guest asrequested

There isn't much there, and I have dug around all three areas under Live TV. I am obviously missing something. I've done some Google searches and looked over the wiki (on gitHub) and cannot find the settings shown by Doofus above.

58ddc0c88791a_Snapshot_569.jpg

bcm00re

Thanks again! I have never noticed the additional options in that area. Some selections (on the left) don't have them at all -- so somehow I have missed them all along. LOL

BAlGaInTl

Thanks again! I have never noticed the additional options in that area. Some selections (on the left) don't have them at all -- so somehow I have missed them all along. LOL

Don't feel bad... I didn't see them right away when I first started using Emby either.  :)

bcm00re

They can, and mine will convert 3 streams at a time, with ease. But I have 2 HDHR Prime units.

What version of ffmpeg are you using? Is it one from Zeranoe? The one that comes with (even the latest version of) Emby doesn't seem to work -- at least not when I tried hardware encoding with steaming Live TV. Was there any additional setup/tricks to do beyond just pointing Emby to a 'good' version of ffmpeg? Thanks again...

Guest asrequested

Hardware encoding isn't enabled for recording TV. The CPU does all the work. It's only enabled for playbwck/streaming. I thought it was, but recently discovered it isn't. So if you're asking about transcoding a live stream, then HWA should be enabled. And I'm using the Emby build of ffmpeg.

Edited by Doofus