Advices for a device handling well Emby Server

jscoys

jscoys

Hello guys!

I've got an athlon FX 8350 with 16 gigs of ram running Emby Server. There is not only Emby server on it, I have video games, different softwares... anyway everything is working fine today.

But... now I want to offload this computer and buy a little computer to use it as a server (Like a NUC or mini-PC). I'm looking for a PC allowing me to transcode 4 or 5 movies at the same time. This PC will be wired to my router and to my computer having movies on it, so I need only enough space to hold the Emby Server software itself, and all its stuff (Plugins, Cache, Video transco cache...).

So what are your advises? Is there anyone who has Emby Server software installed on a mini-PC and who could give me a feedback on it?

Could you give me model examples that are great for my use case? Because despite the space I need (I think 128 Gigs will be enough) I don't have any ideas of processors, ram... etc to handle 4-5 transcos at the same time...

Thx for your answers it's appreciated!

maegibbons

Hi

Well if you want small, you wont go wrong with a NUC Skull Canyon with 16 or 32GB Ram and a 128 or 256GB SSD.

Plenty of transcode power there!

But not cheap when fully configured.

An older NUC i5 would probably cope with 4/5 transcodes ok if dedicated to the task and cheaper!

Krs

Mark

gstuartj

I was able to do up to 3 h264 transcodes on my 5th generation i3 NUC without stuttering, though h265 and MPEG2 streams took more resources and it could only handle one additional h264 transcode. With QSV and/or if throttling kicked in at the right times it might handle 4.

gstuartj

Is QSV working well?

I've never used QSV on it because I ran Emby in a VM, so I can't speak to that. I know that QuickSync is suported.

Jdiesel

I may be misinformed as I don't use hardware encoding myself but I heard that VA API is the better option. I'm curious to how the Kaby Lake i3 7100u with the Intel HD 620 GPU works as far as hardware transcoding goes.

How about a mico-atx build with a AMD Ryzen 7 1700? I want someone to benchmark that CPU using simulations Emby transcodes.  

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

jscoys

I was able to do up to 3 h264 transcodes on my 5th generation i3 NUC without stuttering, though h265 and MPEG2 streams took more resources and it could only handle one additional h264 transcode. With QSV and/or if throttling kicked in at the right times it might handle 4.

Ok so with an i5 it would be correct, even if qsv is not working... Thx a lot my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscoys

Hum little question for whom who has knowledge in Intel proc : what is the most important thing when I chose an intel proc? Is it i3, i5 or i7 or the date it was released? For instance is better to have an i3 released in 2016 than an i5 released in 2013? Thx for you answering?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maegibbons

Hi

It really does vary.   Use something like cpuboss for cpu comparisons.  IMHO if you want to do a number of transcodes then the more cores the better.  So an I7 running 8 cores/threads is a very good processor for emby.

Currently I have emby riunning as a VM on a 3rd gen I7 with 8 logical cores.

If you need even more transcoding go Xeon with 16 cores or more.

Krs

Mark