Multiple streams watching the same m3u channel?

Blob

Hi,

HDHomerun only use one tuner slot if the same channel is streamed.

Does m3u streams share the same feature or is multiple streams started towards the live tv stream provider when the same channel is used?

Thanks

Edited by Blob
  • Like 2

maegibbons

Hi

Is there any way to change that?  It appears wasteful in terms of incoming bandwidth and subscription.

Is there a technical reason why the stream cannot be shared from the server?

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
blackoper

Bump for football season. I'd like to second this request. Emby does a great job with IPTV but i'll have a lot of the same family members watching the same local college games on livetv. Would dvr'ing a game and having them watch the recording on a bit of delay solve the issue for the time being?

maegibbons

Yes - Start a recording and have each of them pick up the "Active Recording" will work.

Hopefully, @@Luke can make stream sharing a server option at some stage so that it automatically saves incoming bandwidth when multiple clients request the same Live IPTV stream.

Krs

Mark

ShotToTheDome

Hopefully, @@Luke can make stream sharing a server option at some stage so that it automatically saves incoming bandwidth when multiple clients request the same Live IPTV stream.

Krs

Mark

Anything that saves on bandwidth and is less wasteful I'm down for. Also on some things I'm limited in total iptv connections so this helps Edited by ShotToTheDome

• 1 year later...
eviltizzy

It is a possibility for the future.

Has the future came yet?

This would help people that have a cap on the number of M3U streams available.. 

We have already implemented stream sharing for m3u sources. It will not be used in all situations, but much of the time it will.

How can we tell without looking through log files?

It's important to be able to tell how many streams are being used so you don't get in trouble with certain providers.

Do you know what conditions would cause the stream to not be shared?

How can we tell without looking through log files?

Currently you can't.

Do you know what conditions would cause the stream to not be shared?

If a channel stream is anything other than a single mpegts stream, then we'll run it through ffmpeg and it won't be shared.

BillOatman

So basically if it needs to be transcoded for any reason, it won't be shared.  Correct?

BillOatman

Hmm. OK let me try again.  My IPTV provider sends a .ts stream, not m3u8 so its a single stream I believe.  In my case, the streams will be shared?

If not, can you please provide a scenario as an example of when they would not be shared?

Hmm. OK let me try again.  My IPTV provider sends a .ts stream, not m3u8 so its a single stream I believe.  In my case, the streams will be shared?

If not, can you please provide a scenario as an example of when they would not be shared?

Kuke already said: If a channel stream is anything other than a single mpegts stream, then we'll run it through ffmpeg and it won't be shared.